Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 24 Egg Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

My 24 Egg Pool

I think by now I have read every single post on TFP and I owe you all a story and pix. Last fall I acquired a 20yo Doughboy Breckenridge that had been packed away and sitting in a barn for many yrs. It was advertised as complete except for the sand filter which melted in a fire and they were asking $80 for it. I negotiated and ended up paying for the pool with a smile and 2 dozen eggs from my very fine backyard hens.

I grew up with a succession of round AGP's so felt somewhat confident I could handle the installation by myself, I am very handy and have just about finished a total house remodel on my own as well as building barns, etc. My husband doesn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other so it really is all me. When I do have a crew it would be my two little girls. Honestly, that's it.

This pool came with every bit of original documentation, as well as a truckload of random ancient chemicals and rather a lot of bees. It was packed very carefully. The only thing I needed were the installation instructions but a quick email to Doughboy and they were in the mail.

So this spring, I began with my crew (4yo and 2yo girls) and my $5 shovel. I decided to set the pool into a hillside which meant digging down about three feet on one side. I could have used machinery here but it is a tight spot and so very near the previous owners pet cemetery, so I shoveled it.

Then the nasty cantilevers. Horrible. By this time I had hit rock so had to dig through that to set the blocks into. Eight of these things. It took me so long to get the cantilevers in my husband started giving me grief about the pool -that it would never be done. I felt that way too so took a break and got this cute sign on Ebay:

(please bear with me, photos are coming)
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My 24 Egg Pool

Welcome to tfp, Pigeonlove

Looking forward to your pics.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I like the "Beach Closed Due to Shark Sighting" sign so much I think I will leave it up permanently.

So, since I have been basically working alone I have not followed the installation instructions exactly. I placed one side of cantilevers, set on blocks, put in pressure plates then worked my way around one end building a skeleton to reach the point where I started the other set of cantilevers. Got those in and then continued around the pool with skeleton until I reached my first cantilever. Whew! Checked and rechecked everything was level and square. I set blocks under all uprights and under the track but did not pour concrete for the cantilevers. My plan was to get the wall up first, check everything again then pour the concrete .

So the wall. My dad told me there was no way I could do the wall by myself so of course I was **** bent on doing it by myself. Carrying it into the pool was the hardest part. Since I had built the skeleton it was very easy to unroll and place the wall in the track with the supports helping me out along the way. I was lucky the wall matched up perfectly. Getting the bar in that joins the wall was difficult. The instructions tell me that it should go in easily and forcing it will void the warranty...I have no warranty and so beat it into submission with my baby sledgehammer.
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

4. Back To Top    #4

(still working on pix, if this doesn't work I need photo advice)

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

Mkay. So where was I? I glued wall foam in, taped down floor foam (so I did use the less expensive white foam board after plenty of research. Pool is just about full and it is great) put in the foam cove. My crew helped a lot with the floor foam so it did not go in perfectly level. They just couldn't resist digging in the soft level dirt, it was 100+ this day so I just went with it. Dropped in the liner same day, stretched it and clipped with clothespins and filled to about 1ft. Well water. Very hard well water. The next day we filled a little more and had to go in and test it out, so cold!

(am catching up to today, we started filling last Sunday)

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice job! Congratulations and enjoy!
    21' AG (~11,000 gallons)
    Hayward S180T sand filter (35 gpm)
    Hayward Power-Flow SP1510 pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you fireman! Got all the coping on today and most of the rails and filled to the skimmer. Big storm blew in so I had to call it a day. I am very eager to get the pump and filter hooked up especially now with all the gunk that blew in polluting my nice new water. Here I have no idea what I am doing. Was told the pump works (manufacture date 1993) and my filter is brand spankin' new but in pieces I am not sure how to put together. Skimmer is std Doughboy and looks fine to me. I did swirl in some bleach yesterday but am not doing anything more until my equipment is up and running. The pool is actually starting to look appealing and I will post more pix soon!

10. Back To Top    #10

Pigeonlove,

You are the bomb!! That is an awesome job and you should be very proud!
    Laurie in Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
    16' X 24' AG Doughboy Autumn Breeze w/Madrid liner | Majestic 8000 Blue Wedding Cake Steps
    Pentair Clean & Clear 150 Cartridge Filter | Pentair OptiFlo 1.5 hp pump
    TF-100 Test Kit | BBB is the only way for us!
    3' Buried install by Mendez Pool and Deck (They did a fabulous job!)

11. Back To Top    #11

That was a lot of dirt to dig! Can't wait to see pics when you finish!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the support lauriec62 and harleysilo! My personal swimming deadline was today b/c it is my birthday. Was. An even bigger storm came in last night so I spent most of the day so far scooping armloads (yes, armloads!) of debris out of the pool. I was in the water doing this so I guess that will have to count as swimming. Was really hoping to get the pump going today but no way that is happening now when I so need it. Of course I have other chores to do as well out here in the country so I have to call it quits for the day on pool work. I get out there and work on the pool sometimes in my pj's and muck boots I am so determined to get it done, it will happen!

13. Back To Top    #13

You are amazing, just to be able to put in a liner by yourself!!!!!
    AG Pool 15 ft. round 4,000 gal. 100LB Hayward Sand Filter
    TF 100 Test Kit

Carpe Diem!

14. Back To Top    #14

You are amazing! That is a tremendous amount of work!!!

And of course, Happy Birthday!!!!

You will have SO much satisfaction that 1) You did it yourself and 2) You are swimming in a pool that your chickens paid for!!!!!!!! Talk about the ultimate in recycling!

16x32 in-ground vinyl-lined pool
    Hayward 1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Hayward 24" Pro-Series High rate sand filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair multi-color LED light.
    TF-100 Test Kit (the best test kit EVER!!!! If you don't have one, get one NOW!)

15. Back To Top    #15

I would do very well in a cashless society; I am always trading for something and a serious Craigslist addict! I do a big veggie garden, can and keep around 15 layers so there's that but also find myself trading away things I have built and then later decide I can do better. Hopefully it is at least a few years until I decide I need to upgrade the pool!

16. Back To Top    #16

(trying to post pix w/out using a photo hosting site...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Back To Top    #17

I was hoping to be up and running tonight, but no. I have a cracked strainer basket cup (think that is what it is called) on my pump. Now I decide do I want to fix it and hope my untested 20 yr old pump works or just suck it up and get a new one. I have searched high and low online for any one anywhere who has this pump and I am coming up empty. Anybody here have 1993 Doughboy 1 hp PowerPak I DIGITAL pump? Still functioning? We swam again today anyway w/me as the human filter running round and round holding a skimmer. Kinda fun, but...

18. Back To Top    #18

What huge undertaking to all that work by yourself. Bravo! Hope you and the girls enjoy the pool.
    Springfield, Missouri
    DIY 18 x 36 vinyl IG, 3' 10"- 8' depth. Hayward Max Flo 1 1/2 HP VS pump, Ranger 30" sand filter, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated suction line, 2 colorlogic lights, and 3 Jandy deck jets, Dolphin Deluxe 5, Gulfstream HE125 heatpump

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by car8857123
    You are amazing, just to be able to put in a liner by yourself!!!!!
    But she has two wonderful helpers!

Amazing

btw, I think you could be related to our *Casey

*another amazing woman that builds her own pools
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

That is something else, so congrats on a job well done, and not one I'd want to tackle. I might trade some labor for some of those eggs though.

I don't know how bad the basket is, but it must be pretty bad not to use it. You might be able to "sew" it together enough with some stainless wire enough to keep it from coming apart.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast