Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB Newbie with a question

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB Newbie with a question

Hi, I recently became a BBB convert and have started to use Arm and Hammer baking soda ( Costo 13lb bag for $6.59 ) I still have my New Water Cycler paks ( Trichlor ) that I want to use up as they were very expensive ( $47) per pak. My question is: after my Cycler paks are done , probably next week, I will then switch to Clorox. I assume that all I have to do is test the water and start using the bleach. Am I correct? Is there anything else I should know? I am so glad that I found this site. I purchased a Taylor test kit, so no more pool store for me
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB Newbie with a question

You are correct. Start by testing the water. Since you're using trichlor you may have to drain some water to get the CYA down, but maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that has enough backwash and splashout that it's not an issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Trichlor will drive you pH down, and your CYA up. Do you know what your CYA (stabilizer) level is?

You may need to switch to bleach before using up your trichlor.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You are almost right....you should test your water for pH and CYA BEFORE you use the trichlor as it will increase CYA and lower pH. If they are in the correct ranges (read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School) then you are good to go.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Thesil
    Hi, I recently became a BBB convert and have started to use Arm and Hammer baking soda
    For what are you adding the baking soda for? I'm just curious if you are having a problem with your TA and/or pH.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I am using the baking soda because my alkalinity level was low Did I pass the test?
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Did I pass the test?
    Flying Colors!! There's a big smiley face going into your file!

(Of course, the NSA will probably want a copy )
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Haha, yes. When I first started caring for my pool I was under the impression that you added baking soda to try to help clean, since that is what the bag seemed to suggest. I was hoping you didn't fall for the same thing I did. My TA was high for a couple years afterwards!

PS: Hope the question didn't come off wrong, it was my way of welcoming you to the TFP fraternity
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL , no not at all. I do appreciate the great feedback and help here. I can't wait for my trichlor to run out and start the bleach method. The cost of pool chemicals at the store was getting prohibitive
    I wish I new about this forum 6 years ago
    thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

I would suggest making the switch now. If you keep trichlor dry it will last forever, and it might come in handy in the future for vacations/extended periods away from home.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry