Building code help with railing height on new deck......

Alscrx

May 12, 2013
CT
I am almost done with framing the side pool deck which is roughly a quarter way around the pool and is an extension to my existing attached to the house deck.

So i know codes vary state to state but a general code is 48" barrier around an above ground pool. Normally the pool itself will be the barrier, but things change when you add a deck.

I am trying to understand the 48" rule for the railing.

1) Does the 48" start from the ground, or from the new deck floor?
I don't think i have ever seen a 48" deck railing before.

2) Does just the gate have to be 48"?

I rather get help here before asking the inspector, can anyone explain this or have pics to help me?
I have googled it and i come up with what i already know.

Bare minimum any structure 72" off the ground must have railings at least 42" from the top rail to the deck anything under 72" off the ground can be 36" from top rail to the deck. Per national building code ( but state and local code supersedes national code ) If you went 42" off the deck you would be fine imo

FamilyGuy said:
Bare minimum any structure 72" off the ground must have railings at least 42" from the top rail to the deck anything under 72" off the ground can be 36" from top rail to the deck. Per national building code ( but state and local code supersedes national code ) If you went 42" off the deck you would be fine imo

The deck is about 40" off the ground, then in the middle there is a platform which is about 8" on top of that to enter the pool.

You need to ask the inspector what they require as minimum height because they are the ones who will be inspecting it in the end.

Casey said:
You need to ask the inspector what they require as minimum height because they are the ones who will be inspecting it in the end.

I gave in and called him, he came over same day, i am able to install minimum railing size of 36" :whoot: Only the actual gate has to be 48"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.