Not sure if it's the cell or control unit?

Jan 5, 2008
Geelong Australia
Hi there
I have a Questachlor Xtra salt chlorinator (30 grams/hr) and apart from a brand new cell about 31/2 years ago I've had absolutely no trouble with it. The unit has reverse polarity and the frequency is set to about every 10 days. Red light/green light indicates which cycle it's on.
Cell is clean and I use a pool shop cell cleaner when the calcium build up occurs but this is infrequently.
I've noticed the last couple of weeks that the needle on the green cycle falls to the middle of the low salt indicator, so I checked the salt level with a proprietary strip and the salt level is sitting at 5500ppm which I believe according to my pool shop test sheets is just right for my pool. When the cycle changes to the red indicator the needle sits at the high end of the winter range (gauge indicates low salt, winter, summer and overload) and the chlorine output is noticeably stronger. There is chlorine output on the other cycle but its much less.

Chlorine levels in the pool at this stage being the midst of winter and the water is freezing are fine according to test strips.

So, I'm wondering is there a problem with the cell or the control unit?? Or no problem at all?
Cheers

Hi there
Thanks for the replies.

In answer to the last post: that's exactly what I did: I added a 25Kg bag of salt to see if it made any difference. Obviously, it raised the ppm salt level but the needle stayed in the low salt region on the "green" cycle.

I suspected the cell but couldn't be 100% sure. So, is it ok to leave it working well on one cycle and not the other, till it starts to perform a lot worse?

And would anyone have a ballpark on time or is that like asking how long's a piece of string?

Cheers

Bama Rambler said:
It's hard to say how long it will continue to keep the pool chlorinated. I'd go ahead and replace it as soon as I could.

Hi there

Yes, thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on the chlorine output visually and keep checking levels with test strips and as soon as it starts to diminish any further I'll oreder another cell. In my OP I said the cell was about 3 years or so old but I was wrong! Looked up the original receipt and it's coming up 5 years, so no complaints here! :)

Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.