Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fighting CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Fighting CYA

Just stumbled on to your site bout a week ago after the pool store employee (little girl behind the counter) told me I needed to empty my pool and replace with fresh water. Thank you Thank you for this web site. Lots of very useful info. I now have been schooled on CYA.
    Here are my numbers. Question-I have now removed and replaced about 6 inches of water 3 times. I know from this website not to completely empty pool but what is the safest amount I can empty.

FC-0.3
    Total Alk-120
    Adjusted Alk-75 by the way which one do we go by?
    PH-8
    CYA-151
    22,500 Gal, Diamond Brite Plaster, Water fall, Cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner. in West Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Fighting CYA

Use TA........adjusted Alk is irrelevant.

You can safely drain 1/3 of your pool each time. About two of those and you'll be where you need to be.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How much you can empty depends a lot on where you are. If you live in New Orleans, where the water table is inches down, you can't drain much or the pool will float. If you're on a well and it's 200 feet to water, you can drain the whole thing.

Use Total Alkalinity. That's the number your test kit will give you... which is something you need to have, because pool store results are not to be trusted. Study the history chart in this thread for an example.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks will keep you updated. After this it will be BBB for life.
    22,500 Gal, Diamond Brite Plaster, Water fall, Cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner. in West Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rmj1567
    Thanks will keep you updated. After this it will be BBB for life.
    And don't look back !!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same CYA issue ... Hang in there it gets a lot better !!!This site helped my take my pool back ..
    And now its really trouble free !!!
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA