Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gray film above water line

1. Back To Top    #1

Las Vegas, Nv

Gray film above water line

I have a gray stain/film just above the water line in my pool plus the plastic character thermometers have a blackish sticky feel to them. The black on the wall does not feel sticky. What is it and how do I get rid of it?
    12K - Pebble
    Las Vegas, NV
    2 hp heyward pump
    Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Re: Gray film above water line

Can you post some test results please ?

Welcome to TFP.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

A picture might be very helpful as well.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I bet you chlorinate with trichlor pucks. Something in them reacts with something to cause that scum line.

Try removing the stuff with a magic eraser, you can find it in the grocery store with the household cleaners.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Long Beach, CA

We get a gray type of film from sunscreen. We ask the parents to apply the sunscreen at least 15 minutes before their kids enter the pool, but they don't always do so and it forms a film on the tile above the waterline.

Like Richard said, the magic erasers are what we use and they work great for removing it.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Houston, TX

I get the same thing and it appears to come from the black oily sooty smoke from my Tiki torches.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math