Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Way to much chlorine??

1. Back To Top    #1

Way to much chlorine??

So I'm new to water chemistry and the label on my chloraid said add 1/2 TBS per 100 gallons and my tub is 500. But I used the wrong cap and ended putting about 2 oz/ 10-12 TBS in. Now my test strips show 10 ppm free chlorine.

I just replaced my circ pump so my main concern is if its harmful to the equipment like the pump/filters/ozone.

Should I be concerned about my equipment? If so I may drain about half the tub. Or is it OK to leave in sun for a few days? Should I keep running the jets? Also is it OK to use?
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Way to much chlorine??

What is the ingredient of the chlorine you used?

If it was Dichlor you raised the FC by 17 ppm and the CYA by 15. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What is the ingredient of the chlorine you used?

If it was Dichlor you raised the FC by 17 ppm and the CYA by 15. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Sodium dichloro-S-triazinetrione

That's dichlor correct? So I'm OK?
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by spanoob9
    Sodium dichloro-S-triazinetrione

That's dichlor correct? So I'm OK?
    Correct, that is what we refer to as "dichlor"
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, that's Dichlor. Don't worry about the FC.

How much have you added in total during this fill? You want to be cognizant of your CYA and once it gets to about 30 ppm you want to switch to bleach for chlorination. There's an article in pool School about how to properly chlorinate your spa with Dichlor and bleach.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, that's Dichlor. Don't worry about the FC.

How much have you added in total during this fill? You want to be cognizant of your CYA and once it gets to about 30 ppm you want to switch to bleach for chlorination. There's an article in pool School about how to properly chlorinate your spa with Dichlor and bleach.
    I should have mentioned in the op this right after new fill.

My dad just added 1 oz of chlorine a WK for regular maintenance. Is that OK? My spa has a ozoniator/ozone generator whatevr you call it and from what I've read so far that allows you to use less chlorine?

7. Back To Top    #7

So all you've added is 2 oz?

It doesn't really allow you to use less as it actually burns some of the FC itself so you wind up using about the same amount. I'd suggest you read the article in Pool School and follow that. It will make your life a lot easier.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

It doesn't really allow you to use less as it actually burns some of the FC itself so you wind up using about the same amount. I'd suggest you read the article in Pool School and follow that. It will make your life a lot easier.
    Correct all I've added is 2 oz so far.

Yeah I'm planning on learning about water chemistry. Thanks for the help

9. Back To Top    #9

One more question

My pH and alkalinity were fine until I overdosed the chlorine. Now they're both low... Does it make sense for chlorine to throw them off like that? Is it okay to add alkalinity increase? Or should I wait for chlorine to come down a little.

10. Back To Top    #10

Just wait for the FC to come down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Just wait for the FC to come down.
    Is the spa okay to use tonight? Test strips still showing high 5-10 ppm fc

12. Back To Top    #12

Sure, go ahead. I've been in a lot higher than that. Might want to rinse off your birthday suits afterwards.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Sure, go ahead. I've been in a lot higher than that. Might want to rinse off your birthday suits afterwards.
    Sweet thanks for the reply. Was just about to get in very reluctantly lol.