Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wasps in the post of my above ground pool -HELP!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Wasps in the post of my above ground pool -HELP!!

Hi,

We have a very large oval above ground pool with a deck built from our back porch all the way around the pool. We have had major trouble with wasps and have found where we think the nest is but can't get to it. Its down in one of the posts of the pool. These red wasps are very aggressive and have stung my three kids and neighbors several times this summer. We have tried many things to deter them or draw them away from the pool like store bought traps (didn't work) Raw meat hanging (didn't work) Wasp spray (only kills the ones that come out), Professional exterminator (did not work). What do we do?? The kids don't mess with them, in fact they are very cautious about it. A couple weeks ago my 6 yr old son bumped the side of the pool while swimming and got stung 5 times on his back. Now the kids won't go near the pool. I am and my wits end and need help, please , please , please!!
    16' x 32' Vinyl IG (~20,000 gal.)
    Hayward 21" sand filter (S210T)
    Hayward 1HP Super Pump (SP2607x10)
    TF-50 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wasps in the post of my above ground pool -HELP!!

We have them too. Here's what I do. Spray in and behind the post with wasp spray and get all you can that way. Then fog the inside of the post with WD-40. I use about 1/4th a can per post. It will keep them away an entire season. There's something about the WD-40 that they don't like and it will stay there pretty much all year.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I would get some kind of fogger that you can get into the post - watch for where they go in and out ... and the best time to spray wasps is at dawn or dusk as most of them will be on their nest at that time.

Not sure that helps much ... but we battle wasps all the time here.
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

4. Back To Top    #4

I always like using the wasp spray after dark when they are all in the nest. I just saturate the paper nest and let them fall to the ground. I don't know if it the truth or not but I have heard if you leave the empty nest hanging, no other family of wasp will move in. I have also heard if you make "fake nests" out of lunch bags and hang them like a nest, no nests will be made nearby your fake. They make fake ones but many complain they are not waterproof.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Wd-40 makes them unable to fly. It messes up the wings somehow.

13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

After dark, about a 1/2 cup of gasoline down the tube, quickly put a block of wood over it, and Mr Wasp is history.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    After dark, about a 1/2 cup of gasoline down the tube, quickly put a block of wood over it, and Mr Wasp is history.
    Ahhh, gasoline. A man after my own heart. Killed plenty of yellow jackets that way. My gasoline method included a match, though, and I think yours doesn't.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a plumbing torch on the yellow jackets foolhardy enough to nest in my fence posts around the pool....might not be the best idea in close proximity to your liner though
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

My gasoline method included a match, though, and I think yours doesn't.
    I would not suggest the match down a tube like that........ possible premature Fourth of July display.

The vaporized fumes in that enclosed space is a guaranteed kill of roughly 100% in about 30 seconds.
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

duraleigh, what do you do after that? rinse it out (if so, when), or does the flammability of the gas dissipate and not cause any problem?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

The gasoline will evaporate very quickly (probably an hour or less) but the residual gasoline smell will be down in the tube a while longer.

I don't think you need to do anything else. Unless you stick your nose up close to the tube, there should be no residual smell.

I'll bet you could use an air freshener if the smell was noticeable but I doubt it would be.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

For some reason wasps love to build under the steps for our deck. I find this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide- ... fcX5d_LL3w works very well. you can stand back about 10' and let it rip.
    21' AG (~11,000 gallons)
    Hayward S180T sand filter (35 gpm)
    Hayward Power-Flow SP1510 pump

13. Back To Top    #13

ah, wasps, me who was allergic until I took 5 years of shots. Living in rural area outdoors..I used to get them in the bottom of my farm gate posts, I would spray up into post to kill with the 27 ft type wasp spray. Then I put expanding foam or tons of walmart bags into the empty cavity to prevent the return. I spray all my light fixtures, behind shutters and the "usual wasp places' every year or two> I alsoi bought these fake paper wasp nests, 2 for 10$ online and sprayed them with clear sealant and put them in my barn and aviary. I have to spray my tractor every year too. They like to get where the rain won't mess their nests.
    AG proseries 22ft. round. 52". 11400 gal.Intex SWG.2000 gh/2650 gph,sand filter intex/ Hayward Aquabug vac. well.Ga. t-50 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    My gasoline method included a match, though, and I think yours doesn't.
    I would not suggest the match down a tube like that........ possible premature Fourth of July display.

The vaporized fumes in that enclosed space is a guaranteed kill of roughly 100% in about 30 seconds.
    My stepbrother tried that approach in an enclosed shed when he was 12. He received 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank for all your advice everyone!! There are some great ideas here. We went out there right at dusk last night and put gasoline down the post(that is just what we had on hand). No matches used!! Hopefully it did the trick!!
    16' x 32' Vinyl IG (~20,000 gal.)
    Hayward 21" sand filter (S210T)
    Hayward 1HP Super Pump (SP2607x10)
    TF-50 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

This is the one that I use. I like it because it foams, which expands and usually clogs their exit. When not shooting it into a hole, it clings to the nest better and impairs their flight even more than regular spray.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_190359-316-H...asp&facetInfo=
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    There's something about the WD-40 that they don't like and it will stay there pretty much all year.
    I have used WD-40 as a deterrent and it has worked pretty well. In the spring, I spray it around the patio where the walls meet the ceiling - previously a favorite place for wasps to build their nests. I usually hit it again with another application in early summer and that seems to do the trick.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.