Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Cover - Should I cover this cover during winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Parma / Michigan

Automatic Cover - Should I cover this cover during winter?

First of all thank you for answering my posts! Although we are new pool owners, you have given our family a sense of confidence.

We have installed an automatic cover, which as you know, was very expensive. Although it can be used as a winter cover, I am thinking about protecting it throughout the winter.

I have heard of people using a standard tarp with water bags, but I would like to brainstorm a few more ideas. Has anyone done this?

One of my ideas may be considered overkill, but I have always been that type of person. I am thinking about buying or making a steel tube / canvas structure that can carry a snow load. It would look like a carport without sides. I think a dome shape would be pretty cool. Basically I just need something to keep water, snow, ice and leaves off my cover!

What do you think?

Dave (Michigan)

20x40 IG, Auto Cover, Steel Walls 2R, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Pro Logic SWG, DE Filter, 2hp Pump, Color Logic Light, Diving Board, Typhoon Slide, 4 Jandy Deck Jets, Polaris 280, Hayward Propane Heater & Central Boiler With Heat Exchanger.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Automatic Cover - Should I cover this cover during winte

You could also use a standard winter cover, like a loop-loc or similar. But, by the time you do that, you've probably already paid for a replacement of the vinyl!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden