Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main drain/hydrostatic relief leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Main drain/hydrostatic relief leak

Do the hydrostatic valves leak or deteriorate enough to leak in an 8 year old salt pool? I am losing about1" a day.skimmers are tested fixed. Plumbing was tested lights tested. I cant find any cracks.Might be a coincidence but I over filled my pool before vacation.over the top. Now I have a huge leak.I live on a hill so I cant see the water table as a problem.Pool leaks the same on or off.i would let it leak down to find it but I don't want a green pool. Any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main drain/hydrostatic relief leak

Get in there and plug it with something you know is 100% closed. If the pool stops losing water, egads. "Badluck" alright, a daunting problem. Summer has a lot of evap but you're losing quite a lot. If that's the problem, you're either going to drain, or get real good at holding your breath.
    23,000g IG plaster, textured ceramic 'mock slate' tile and flagstone cascades. Three levels (upper wading 16" dp, other 3.5-ft slate cascade); two skimmers. New Ultraflex II. Pentair Intelliflo 3hp pump, 4-cartridge Hayward filter. Two other 2 hp Superpump II push water features (jets, cascade). Las Vegas, NV (desert enviro). Water temp: winter avg. 45f, summer avg. 86f. Water service: private well, TDS hard @ 250+pp, pool 770ppm!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Main drain/hydrostatic relief leak

Can I loop or tie the 2 lines inside the skimmer together and allow the pool to circulate with the water below the skimmer box? Or will this cause a air gap and cause the pump to lose prime.