Cleaned cell, now high salt reading

Feb 25, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I have an Aqua Rite Salt Generator. It was running around 3000 to 3100 at the beginning of the season. We had the cell cleaned about a month ago and now it is up to 3700. I have not added ANY salt since we had the cell cleaned. Is this common? Do you all think that the 3700 is an accurate reading? I also checked the salt level with an ORP pocket tester and it also read 3700. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

We had probably let it go 6 months ( I know, shame on us). However, there was very little build up. It is generating, the pool looks great and the aqua rite is not saying high salt.
The funny thing is that after the cleaning it displayed 3400, then went to 3500 a couple days later, then 3600 a few days later and now almost a month later it is reading 3700. Weird that it keeps going up!
I've even had our Labrador Retriever go in and out a hundred times (much to his delight) to try to pull some salt out and it still increased. Head scratcher.

If there is no buildup then don't clean it. As I understand it, acid cleaning of a swg cell reduces it's life a little every time. If you are getting buildup then you could post your latest test results and we may be able to help reduce it. I have pretty high CH in my water, but haven't had to clean my cell for the last 2 years.

The Aquarite system displays the salt level, based on the amps and volts going to the cell. Scaled conditions, cold water, or a failing cell will all display a low salt condition. It's important to ensure that the cell is clean of scale formation, and if the unit does show low salt condition, inspect the cell before adding salt.
I believe the unit is increasing slowly because the displayed salt level is actually averaging the salt level so it'll slowly drift up to match your test result.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.