SLAM questions..

Maxomom

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2010
Ok so it's my first time doing SLAM..at least properly anyway...

Pool was drained and acid washed back in April 1)'cuz it needed it and 2) last season had mustard algae from heck that I unsuccessfully attempted to treat. Thought that acid wash would eliminate any residual algae.....but no, it's back and likely my fault for not paying attention to FC levels during very warm SoCal weather and very warm solar heated pool.

Fast forward to right now. I have pool up to mustard algae shock level according to pool calc. What is unclear to me in the SLAM instructions is the duration of time that I must keep pool at this high shock level. I have no CC reading....never do. So say if I go take a nap right now for an hour or so, should I test again and bring it back up to mustard shock level once again? Twice again? When do I stop and let the liquid chlorine do it's job and kill the nasty buggers while I thoroughly brush every surface?

I understand about testing tomorrow morning and seeing what the chlorine loss overnight is....just fuzzy on the middle part...

Thanks!

I think everyone, including myself, must have misread that.

Step 1: SLAM at normal SLAM levels

Step 2: Successfully complete the SLAM on all 3 criteria. There is no set time, you go until you have clear water, less than .5 CC, and pass an OCLT. You MUST pass all 3, not just have clear water.

Step 3: Raise FC level to mustard algae level for 24 hours and clean anything that was exposed to the algae.

Step 4: Let FC levels drop back down and then enjoy!

Thank you, Donaldsn! YOUR response was very helpful...

linen, not so much....I wouldn't go to all this trouble and work if I wasn't certain that it is mustard algae. As a Lifetime Supporter of this forum I am a pool school "graduate", have read all the articles on this topic and simply asked a basic clarifying question.

You're welcome. However...

Maxomom said:
linen, not so much....I wouldn't go to all this trouble and work if I wasn't certain that it is mustard algae. As a Lifetime Supporter of this forum I am a pool school "graduate", have read all the articles on this topic and simply asked a basic clarifying question.
If you already know everything why are you here asking questions? All linen was doing was asking "a basic clarifying question". In the future it would behoove you to be a little more humble to people trying to assist you.

Mustard algae is one of the most commonly mis-diagnosed conditions that we see posted. Linen's response was perfectly correct in asking if you had verified it.

I could find nothing unhelpful in Linen's post

Max,

Try not to take this personally, we read hundreds of these posts a day. We may not be intimately aware of all of your efforts. Given that you are new poster here (less than 50 posting) we don't ASSUME anything and play it safe by asking confirming questions. I have reading posts from users with 200 posts that do not grasp the basic requirements of testing before acting.

Good luck on resolving your algae issues and please come back and share your knowledge, like we try to.

So what if you do a slam and the water remains clear? Last time I had a mustard algae bloom the water went cloudy for a day or so...this time it is at FC level for SLAM right now and is as clear as can be...thanks...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure where you are in the slam process; this started with mustard algae, but it has been some time since then.

The test for stopping the SLAM includes clear water. This means no cloudiness, and no visible algae. If you still see mustard algae on the pool floor or walls, it's not "clear", yet. Once you pass the 3 criteria for a normal slam, up the FC to mustard algae levels until you pass all 3 criteria again.

If your water itself never gets cloudy during the slam process, it just means your filter is keeping up with catching the dead algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.