Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very High CYA Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Very High CYA Levels

30K, IG Fiberglass w/DE Filter
    FC-0, TC-0, pH-7.0, TA-30,CH-230, CYA-300+
    These were the results from the local pool store. They say my best course of action at this point is to drain half the water and start over. Water in CA is very expensive. Is there a better way to get the chemicals in balance?
    3,000 Gallon, kidney shape fiberglass.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Very High CYA Levels

Even given that we don't trust pool store numbers, I'm afraid that you're going to have to replace a lot more than half of your water.

Is that CA California or Canada?

If it's california, Reverse Osmosis might be available to you. It's probably going to be as expensive as replacing the water though.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

While that number is possible, I wouldn't trust it. Pool store tests are notoriously unreliable. And if you live in CA, I wouldn't trust that CH reading, either, since everywhere I've lived, the water is really hard. I would expect that number to be far higher.

There is no easy way to lower CYA short of draining, unless you live close to Escondido, where there is a reverse osmosis outfit that can filter everything out. However, the pool has to be clear, so....

What does your water look like?

And have you read anything in Pool School yet?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The first step is to get the recommended test kit. Assuming CA means California, you would be best off ordering from poolsupplyworld.com. If that number is accurate, and your CYA really is 300, that would mean you have to drain 83% of your water. If RO is available by you, from what I remember it costs around $400.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately I don't have any better news than the previous replies. I don't trust pool store results, but with CYA tests they are more likely to read too low than too high. You would have to test yourself to be sure but if your CYA is well over 300 you will have to drain some 25k gallons of water or do a reverse osmosis treatment. At this point you would have to keep your chlorine level above 23 for it to have any useful effect.

So did the pool store tell you why your CYA level is that high? Chlorine tablets (made from trichlor) and some "shock" powders (made from dichlor) add CYA along with the chlorine. Am I correct that you use tablets to chlorinate your pool?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, I'll do some more research before draining.

7. Back To Top    #7

Using granular chlorine.

8. Back To Top    #8

Granular cholorine comes in three formulas. Dichlor, Cal-hypo and Trichlor. It's obvious from your CH reading that you're not using Cal-hypo. It's probably Dichlor and that adds 9 ppm of CYA for every 10 ppm of FC you add. That owuld be why your CYA is so high.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit