What to buy - AquaRite, IntelliClor, or CircuPool RJ series?

Jul 28, 2013
Sometime during the next year I will be installing a SWG and after lots of online research have narrowed my choices down to three possibilities: Hayward AquaRite, Pentair IntelliChlor, or CircuPool RJ series. My initial cost for any of these systems is similiar with a difference of about $100 between cheapest and most expensive. The main difference between these three systems is the length of their warranty. Pentair is one year, Hayward 3 years, and CircuPool 7 years pro-rated.

One online self-proclaimed expert claims the Pentair is by far the most reliable system on the market, so much so that he offers a three year warranty. He indicates one can expect 5 year life from the cell. He bad mouths many of the competitors claiming that the Hayward units are subject to power surges which fry the control unit. Does anybody know if there is any validity to this claim or is he just blowing smoke? He says nothing one way or the other about the CircuPool which I gather is somewhat new on the market.

Would love to receive advise on which system would be the most reliable, and which, if any, to avoid.

Re: What to buy - AquaRite, IntelliClor, or CircuPool RJ ser

As long as you understand that size matters in this case. Bigger the cell, more it can produce, less you have to run it====longer life span.

Since the SWG will run the same length of time as the IntelliFlo (about 3-4 hours) I don't see what the size/capacity of the unit has to do with the life of the cell. My pool is 21,000 gal, and will choose a SWG rated at least 25,000. Are you saying if I move up to a 40,000 gal unit it will last longer? Please explain.

DYIpoolguy said:
Since the SWG will run the same length of time as the IntelliFlo (about 3-4 hours) I don't see what the size/capacity of the unit has to do with the life of the cell. My pool is 21,000 gal, and will choose a SWG rated at least 25,000. Are you saying if I move up to a 40,000 gal unit it will last longer? Please explain.
If you have a cell rated at 25000 and you only run it 4 hours you will produce enough chlorine for a 4200 gallon pool (25000*4/24). If you have a cell rated at 40000 gallons and you only run 4 hours you will produce enough chlorine for a 6700 gallon pool (40000*4/24). (These are estimates since each pools demand is different)

Typical expected life for a swg cell is ~10000 hours. Now lets say you buy the 25000 gallon cell, then if you ran the expected required 20 hours, then 10000/20= 500 days of life. At 40000 with the expected required 13 hours of run time, 10000/13=770 days of life.

I have had the RJ going since May.
It sure has been nice, and my pool has never looked better.
What i like the most about the RJ is that you can see the clorine being made...
So there is never a question of " is it working ? "
Also my pool looks good becuse i keep all my paramaters in spec !! Using SWG guidelines from this site.
And test using a Good Kit. Getting acurite test numbers is the most important thing to do.
I have a friend that has a aquarite SWG and his pool looks great also. And he keeps his numbers correct .

So far, the various comments to my thread have been very helpful. As previously indicated my IntelliFlo runs 3-4 hours for one complete change of pool water. At 21,000 gallons it appears I will need as big a SWG capacity as I can get for this runtime which narrows the field down to the CircuPool RJ60 rated at 60,000 gallons. Both the Pentair and Hayward units maximum size is 40,000 gallons. Anybody out there had a CircuPool unit for more than a few months? Their units are made by CompuPool in Austraila, and I think those units have been around a bit longer but will appreciate any and all feedback.

Based on the calculations provided in an earlier reply, an RJ60 will be providing enough chlorine for only a 10,000 gallon pool. Any chance this will be enough chlorine or am I going to have to run the pump longer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It might be, but I would plan on running your intelliflo longer. You should be able to reduce the speed of the intelleflo as long as it is high enough to activate the swg's flow switch.

That is a downside to a swg...when a pool is properly maintained it typically does not need as much filter time as it needs swg time. Good news for you is you have a vs pump, so you likely can just turn the flow rate down and maybe in the end actually save some electricity. If you are truly move 21000 gallons in 4 hours, then imo you are running your pump too fast. Do you know actually have a flow meter? What rpm are you running?

One can only set the pump speed in manual mode. In filter mode which I use I can set number of pool turnovers, number of pump cycles and length of each one, and the clean filter pressure. The pump's computer does the rest. It looks like I simply have to double the length the of the one cycle and this will give enough time for SWG and lower the pump speed. We have solar panels on our roof and have cut our yearly electric cost from $3500 to about $350.

My 30k gallon pool will turn over in 6 hours ... Now thats on paper !!! Based on Pump GPM ..
I wonder if thats really the case ?
I guess you could calculate extra run time electricity used and see if its cost effective to get a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.