salt generator dies what next

Jul 29, 2013
Hi all,
I am hoping someone has some insight on my salt water situation. We have a 7 year old, in-ground, dark gunite pool around 40,000 gallons. We use the Aqua Pure 1400 system along with the Aqua Link RS keypad inside. We had an issue with our sensor so we ordered a new one and then our aqua pure system completely died over the weekend. We think some rain water might have gotten into the unit. Anyhow, we are at the point where we are deciding what to do next. Over the last few years I feel like the unit has been nothing but costly and providing very little benefit. We do have an automatic chlorinator that takes 1" tabs as well. I have considered eliminating the salt system entirely, utilizing the automatic tab chlorinator, and adding Pool Proof. I wanted to know if this would be a viable alternative or if we are stuck purchasing a new salt unit. If we need to purchase a new salt system, to be compatible with our RS keypad, does it need to be a new aqua pure system? If not is there a better unit on the market that we should consider? Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
and adding Pool Proof.
Bah, humbug. That "magic bullet" will not help your pool....it's just marketing hype.

You can chlorinate your pool in a variety of ways...
SWG
bleach
powdered chlorine
tabs
liquid chlorine dispenser (pump)

Each has advantages and disadvantages. You can manage your pool correctly by learning what each does and what it's drawbacks are.

Liquid chlorine or bleach is the closest to perfect but is the least convenient.

If there was clearly a very best way to chlorinate, everyone would be using the same method. Learn more about each of these by asking lots of questions and you will come up with an answer that fits your needs best.

Welcome to TFP.

My suggestion would be to either abandon the swg and go to a liquid injection system or repair/replace the AquaPure unit. You'll pretty much have to stick with AquaPure if you want it to be compatible with your existing remote. The Aquapure system is no better or worse than any other system.

You do not want to use the tablets because they raise the CYA and that causes it's own problems.

Pool Proof is nothing more than borates. You can learn how to add them to your pool here if you want, but that should be the last thing you do after you've gotten everything else worked out.

Whichever way you go, you'll do yourself a huge favor by spending some time reading Pool School and learning the ABC's of Pool Chemistry.

Bama Rambler said:
Pool Proof is nothing more than borates. You can learn how to add them to your pool here if you want, but that should be the last thing you do after you've gotten everything else worked out.
Just to add to this, there are positives of using borates and some people swear by them. However the claims I saw on their website are... well I can't say what they are on this family-friendly website. It will not cut your maintenance costs in half, period. Only way to do that is to be on this website :goodjob:

If you do decide to no longer use an SWG I would also recommend against using tabs.
-If you use them correctly and maintain proper FC to CYA levels then the convenience is offset by having to drain some water weekly to stay on top of your CYA level. If you are following the TFP SWG guidelines then your CYA level will already need to come down significantly to use tabs.
-If you use them incorrectly and do not maintain proper FC to CYA levels then the convenience is offset by a green pool.

If you would like to stay automated but get away from the SWG you may want to search the forum for stenner pumps. It automatically doses liquid chlorine in to your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.