Newbie to BBB has pesky CYA Question

Jun 20, 2010
NE Ohio
We are very happy with BBB and the appearance of our pool. We were able to leave for the weekend and even with no additional chlorine beyond what I raised on Friday afternoon, we came home to a sparkling clean pristine pool. We could not be happier. My question is that the pool will not hold chlorine.

Now we have been gone since Friday afternoon so 0 chlorine isn't a huge shock to me - but even before I left we were losing most of it overnight. (ETA Losing it from morning to night).

Today's numbers
FC 0
TC 0
pH 7.2
Alk 90
CYA Unknown at this time - *likely very low
Temp 71 degrees (welcome to Autumn in July in Ohio. It was 68 this weekend with rain)

The water is gorgeous and all staining is gone (knock wood!) My only concern at this point is CYA. I am waiting for CYA results (pending test - I have the wrong one) but on 7/6 the number was 30 and we have had a significant water change, rainfall and no additional CYA. Pool is uncovered 24/7 with full sun the majority of the day.

All this to say that I'm pending a new test but I am preparing for our CYA is to be at almost nonexistent levels.

pH, Acid and appearance of water is fantastic. Am I wrong to hope that if I get CYA under control it will hold chlorine for more than a day? I'm trying to let the pool lead us. One bonus of BBB is that previously our pH always ran high. We blamed well water and the pool story said it was just a high pH pool. Added Borax last week and pH has been spot on since.

Losing all the FC overnight indicates something is still alive in the pool.
Losing all the FC during the day could very well be low CYA.

How to tell: testing. The overnight loss test using the FAS-DPD test can rule out the one. The CYA test will rule out the other. That's why the proper test kit is so important.

Thanks! I'm waiting for my new(est) test. Until then we have to muddle along with what we have.

It could be wishful thinking but the water is almost too clear - and has been left alone for too long - without growing so much as a smidge for me to think anything is in there. The PS had us on 0 chlorine for weeks - in a heat wave. I have to think if anything was going to grow it would have. We left it alone all weekend and the water looked better when we came back. We are starting to think we should just be like "shhh... don't talk to the pool, it's doing something."

According to my rabid testing (newbie thrill) we lose chlorine from am to pm and I think it's just burning off. I can't wait to get the proper numbers. It was a little chilly sticking my kit into the water this am (57 degrees) but I like the swirling and the readings.

The good news is I'm so into the tests right now that I will run out of the chems on this one shortly. I think I'm testing daily things that veterans test weekly.

That happens to all of us. You'll get comfortabel with the pool and the tests soon and you'll stop testing things like TA, CH and CYA daily. It's a good thing to test a lot in the beginning as it allows you to get very comfortable with the tests and the pools personality.

Your CYA test will remove the guesswork, I you will become a rabid Pool Nerd next. :lol:

The last step comes quickly thereafter when the "whole picture" of managing your pool (through testing) becomes almost second nature to you.....then you will likely become Pool Snob.....The highest rank attainable. :mrgreen:

Yes, you can expect your FC to hold MUCH better when your CYA is adequate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.