pH - 8.2
FC - .5
TC .5
TA 70
CH 300

CYA 20
SALT - 2650

TEMP 86

I've watched my CYA and it normally stays pretty level - between 50 and 70. But for some reason, it took a nose dive. I put my numbers in the PC, and see what to add, but I want to do it in the right order.

Thank you in advance..

What test kit did you use to get those results ?

You need chlorine.
PH is high.

I would get some chlorine in there ASAP to a level of 2-3 ppm
Then add stabilizer to get to 30-50 ppm. The stabilizer will also lower your PH. Pool calc will tell you how much x amount of stabilizer will lower PH. If PH is still not where you want it use acid to lower it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I'm going to assume you used your TF-100. Did you do anything different with this CYA test? It is unusual for it to suddenly drop, especially that much! I want to believe it was a testing error unless you recently lost over half of your water.

pwrstrk is right on the money, you should adjust your pH and FC first, CYA second (well third). I would retest your CYA before you add any more though, make sure you do it on a sunny day, back to the sun so the test is in your shadow. After you test, pour the water back in the bottle, shake it again, and do it again to verify your results.

The T-100 kit that Dave sells on here..

I usually have to add acid twice a week because the spill way, waterfalls from the grotto and the ledge spout run the whole time the pool pump is on. My CYA has never been this low..
I did get some chlorine and acid in there about an hour ago, but if my CYA is off, it won't help much I guess.

I bought the stabilizer last week at the pool store, and the guy told me to be real careful adding that, because it could turn my pool into a swamp. So I was adding it gradually (CYA was at 30 at that point.)

I've had 2 toddlers in swim diapers in there several times a week.. Not sure how the diapers help - but it's freaking me out.

Thank you!

Never heard of stabilizer turning a pool into a swamp. Low FC levels will do that.

Get your PH adjusted and get the stabilizer in there. Let pump run for 24 hrs. It will take a couple of days to a week to fully register. Assume its there for whatever level of CYA you are shooting for and adjust FC to that range. Don't forget the stabilizer will lower your PH a little

Thank you Donaldson..

Yes we've had more rain than usual this year.. plus I've had my spa drain into the pool at night, and I'm sure it went out the drain as well. (The spa drained 11 inches in 1 night!) The PB came and fixed it. I didn't think of testing the CYA right away tho.

I do the CYA test like you mentioned... but I will start doing it twice. Good thought. Thank you..

Thank you Jeff.. Think I should add a little algae-side as a preventive? I have some.. or just bleach. I added 20 lbs of salt last week, and it is reading low again.. something is going on.

No algaecide. Use bleach to help the SWG. FC levels got low because CYA level got too low.

I just saw you had a SWG. CYA level for that is 70-80 ppm. Sorry I missed the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok! I'm on it. Bleach, & acid, I'll add salt and stabilizer tomorrow after I get the FC up to a respectable level.

I'll go run another FC test in a bit. Thanks!

Yeah, salt and CYA only are lost to water replacement, so I agree something is going on. Have you had several inches of rain in the past week? For your pool it should take a couple thousand gallons of water to see changes like you are.

I guess only thing to do is get your pH and chlorine set tonight, get your CYA and salt set tomorrow, and see what happens. Keep an eye on water level and hopefully this was all just a fluke of nature.

This morning:

pH 7.5
FC 5.5
CC 1
TC 6.5
TA 70
CH 300
CYA 50
SALT 3150
TEMP 81 WATER

Looks clear but feels acidic..? Yesterday PC said to
add 60oz Bleach -
32 oz Stabilizer and
80 lbs salt (I only added 60 lbs because I'm not sure if EasyTouch is spot on..)

I clean my skimmer out with a "Magic Eraser" all the time which wipes off off the accumulated "scum" (for lack of a better word.) Well last night, after adding the above chemicals, the scum was very dark brown, almost black. I cleaned it, and this morning, it's back. I am guessing this is the crud that was in my water, and the chemicals are working at cleaning it up..?

PC says to add more stabilizer - or should I wait? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 243
I know I've seen it somewhere - but where can I find the "Shock Level" for my pool?

My CYA level isn't on the chart I found.

CYA is 50 (up from 25, 2 days ago)

Just noticed that the ring around the light fixture in the grotto is loose on the bottom. I'm wondering if I might have algae lurking back there. I just started the SLAMing process, so I don't think I ought to get in there right away.. Is there a safe time to get in to have a look? I just dumped 357 oz of bleach in the pool. I found ChemGeek's Chart that showed the shock level for my low CYA and used the PC to find out how much bleach was necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.