Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Went for a week vacation came back to a swamp black pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Went for a week vacation came back to a swamp black pool!

Do I start all over with shocking like I would at opening season or do I need to just add bleach little by little. Chlorine is non existent Alk is slightly low and ph is slightly low. We left the pump on the entire time we were gone and shocked before we left but it apparently rained the entire time. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Went for a week vacation came back to a swamp black pool

[center:2yh84d2e]---SLAM IT!---[/center:2yh84d2e]

If you aren't familiar with it, check out the CYA chart, find your CYA level, raise the chlorine level to shock level and keep it there until you pass the 3 criteria for ending a SLAM, found on the SLAM page.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks. This was what we were thinking but I was a little unsure so wanted to ask before shocking it.

4. Back To Top    #4

SLAM. The good news is there probably isn't as much debris in the bottom to scrape out as last time, and you know what you're doing, so it should go relatively quick.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!