Deck and firepit sizing

DanR

Jul 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hi Folks,
First post.
Thanks for all of the information on here, I have been reading for a while to get ready for our new pool. The hole is dug, and the plumbing is in. Tomorrow we will pick out coping and pavers for the deck. Tuesday we think the Gunite will get done.

I want to incorporate a wood burning firepit (no gas) in the deck. I have a drawing of what I am thinking, but would like some advice. The chairs that I will have around the firepit will be Adirondack chairs.

I want to have the bulk of the decking at the far end (there is shade at the far end in the afternoon).
Questions:

• What is the minimum you would have in decking for walking?
    Is coping usually level with the decking (should I include the 1' wide coping when considering the minimum width for walking)?
    If you have a firepit, how much room do you need around it for chairs so that people can slide back away from a fire that is hot or smoky (and still keep the chair on the deck)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool-small.jpg
    pool-small.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 191
What is the size of the pool? That will give us a better idea of the width of the deck. I love what you have drawn out, the 3' I am assuming does not include the Coping so it is really 4', I would not go any smaller than that.

For the Fire Pit make sure you make it big enough to have a nice fire. My neighbor has one that is 6' diameter, it is outstanding. His is also about 2-3' tall, a little overkill, but he puts on a great fire and you can fit 10-15 people around it no problem at all.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
The pool is 18x36

I was planning on a 5' fire pit, 3' inside and 5' outside.

The 3' of decking is just the pavers, so yes 3' pavers plus 1' coping gives 4' minimum. On the side with the firepit I would have 4' by the steps and toward the far end, and maybe 15' where the firepit is? This is what I am trying to figure out. I don't have a firepit that I can set chairs around to see what is comfortable.

Thanks,
Dan

A suggestion, take a chair and some sidewalk chalk out your driveway or front lawn. Draw out what you are thinking on the ground. Sit in the chair, move it around. See what is comfortable to you.

Anything less than 4 feet will probably feel narrow for a high traffic area. So you may want 4 feet between the back of the seating and the pool.

Who is constructing the fire pit? Do they intend to line the inside with firebricks?

An airway can also be constructed allowing air to enter into the bottom of the pit, helping to feed the beast. A fan can also then be introduced.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.