Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: User installed flow switch to control SWG with IntelliFlo

1. Back To Top    #1

User installed flow switch to control SWG with IntelliFlo

Any reason I cannot use my own flow switch in the pool return line in series with an SWG power cord to run concurrently with my Pentair IntelliFlo pump? Not interested in an automation control.
    21,000 gallon igp, fiberglass lining, Hayward S244T sand filter with Vari-Flo valve and glass media, Pentair IntelliFlo VF, Barracuda G3, Argenia Copper Ion system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: User installed flow switch to control SWG with IntelliFl

It is possible to do what you're wanting to do. You'll probably want to use a relay to do the actual switching.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not well enough versed in electronics to know why I might need a relay and, if absolutely necessary, some more details on what exact kind of relay. Also would need to know how it would be hooked into circuit. The flow switches I am looking at are rated at 220V 3A.
    21,000 gallon igp, fiberglass lining, Hayward S244T sand filter with Vari-Flo valve and glass media, Pentair IntelliFlo VF, Barracuda G3, Argenia Copper Ion system

4. Back To Top    #4

It is simpler and more reliable to use a current sensing relay instead of a flow switch, though a flow switch will certainly work. There are several posts about how to install current sensing relays around here somewhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In my opinion it is not simpler at all to use a current sensing relay instead of an additional flow switch. I have scanned the various threads on the forum regarding the relay and it would involve adding another box to hold the relay and possibly a delay switch. The switch I have in mind can be found at http://www.homeperfect.com/general-purp ... fs4-3.html and does not appear to be a flimsy unit that would fail easily like many of the separate flow switches which come with SWG's. For ease of install it can be added with a saddle tee. It would seem going this route would provide dual protection with actually two flow switches in the circuit. Any comments?

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm thinking of putting in a flow switch with a delay off relay to shut off the pump in a no flow situation. this has been an issue twice in the last year, and I don't want to damage the pump. I was thinking of using this flow switch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094G ... UG2ZDGM0XM

I don't yet know if it will work, but its a lot cheaper!
    50,000 Vinyl IG Pool
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump - 1.1SF
    2 Tagelus 50GPM filters
    SWG, Solar

7. Back To Top    #7

Mmonaco's comment above is irrelevant to this thread which is addressing the issue of adding a flow switch to a SWG not a pump. Suggest Mmonaco start a new thread with his/her question.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks to me like it's very relavent to this thread. I take it that they were giving you and alternative to the one you posted and just telling you what they were planning on using it for.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, just posting an alternate, less expensive flow switch. No question in that post.

Good luck on your endeavor!

Matt
    50,000 Vinyl IG Pool
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump - 1.1SF
    2 Tagelus 50GPM filters
    SWG, Solar

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry I misinterpreted his post. I am aware of the various cheaper flow switches to which he refers. Since others have indicated that flow switches are not particularly reliable over the long haul, I decided that these made in China models might not be all that durable and am going for the more heavy duty USA made unit. Also cannot find reliable info on the Chinese models regarding whether or not the threads on the units are standard NPT or not. One supplier says the threads are metric. If so, good luck find the necessary plumbing parts to install it. Of course, Amazon has great return policy so I guess that is not a big problem if one can't find the needed plumbing.