Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Culprit for burning eyes?

1. Back To Top    #1

Culprit for burning eyes?

Yesterday I had a pool party and everyone was complaining of burning eyes. Here we're my results before the big swim:

TF-100
    FC 5.0
    C 0 (maybe .5 but I'd guess .25 or lower because test was ever so slightly pink, 1 drop cleared it.)
    TC 5.0 (ish)
    pH 7.2
    TA 60
    CH 470
    CYA 45

I assumed it was just the pH but I meticulously measured to get 7.2 because the pool is me and it spikes up to 8.2 every two days. I was thinking it might also be the slightly high chlorine but since I had 5 kids and 8 adults swimming, I wanted to make sure there was enough to combat bather load and kids peeing and spitting in the pool. This morning I swam again and my eyes were burning like the dickens. Here we're today's results:

FC 2.5
    CC .5 or less. Again it was barely pink.
    TC 3
    pH 7.6
    TA 60
    CH 470
    CYA 45

The pH is ideal and the chlorine was lower so what gives? My pool is blue, sparkly, gorgeous, and clear. It looks amazing but it's frustrating to have burning eyes every swim. Watcha think?
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Culprit for burning eyes?

Eye irritation is usually CC or pH. Try the FC and CC test with 25mL ... if the CC is more than 1 drop (0.2) that is likely the issue.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it possible that the high CH could be to blame? It the TA of 60? I added 1 drop to yesterday and today's CC reading but it was ever so slightly pink and 1 drop made it clear again. I'm really reluctant to drain and refill for the high calcium...at least until the swimming season is over. The kids like to swim multiple times per day and I don't want my pump off for a day or two in this heat/full sun.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

4. Back To Top    #4

Doubtful. Do the higher accuracy test I suggested. A CC over 0.2 could irritate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dreampool13
    Is it possible that the high CH could be to blame? It the TA of 60? I added 1 drop to yesterday and today's CC reading but it was ever so slightly pink and 1 drop made it clear again. I'm really reluctant to drain and refill for the high calcium...at least until the swimming season is over. The kids like to swim multiple times per day and I don't want my pump off for a day or two in this heat/full sun.
    Nobody complains about burning eyes in my pool, with CH about 900. I swim around underwater with my eyes open and no goggles (to admire the clarity) with no irritation at all.

I suspect either CC or sunscreen washing off into eyes. That stuff stings about as bad as mosquito repellent!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I do want to also point out that your FC is too low now. So if that happens often, something could be in the water that does not show up the CC test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Sunscreen. Which of your guests slathered on a gallon 30 seconds before jumping in?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Eye irritation is usually CC or pH. Try the FC and CC test with 25mL ... if the CC is more than 1 drop (0.2) that is likely the issue.
    Hey jblizzle, just curious on this more accurate test... I have had burning eye issues for a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out why. Numbers are below, and everything seems fine, so I figured I'd try to see if there was a CC issue. This test is a little tough for me anyway, since color vision is not my strong suit, but will have my wife double check the colors for me tomorrow. Question is, do I do the FC/CC test as normal, just with 25 mL of pool water? i.e. 1 scoop of R-0870 powder, each 1 drop of R-0871 now equaling .1FC?

I did it that way, and after 5 drops of R-0003, it was still clear, so it doesn't appear to have any CC's. With the standard FC test, I got 3, and with the more accurate test I got 2.4, but CC still appears to be 0. I'll double check with another set of eyes tomorrow.

Anything else here raise a flag for burning eyes? pH can be brought down a bit, but I don't think that would be the issue.

Thanks, Jeff

FC 3 (2.4 with 25mL test)
    CC 0
    CH 300
    TA 110
    pH between 7.8 - 8.2
    CYA 30
    Katy (Houston, TX) - 15,000 gallon In Ground free form kidney shaped 30'x15' pool with Pebble surface. Spa - 8' round with waterfall. Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter (not sure which model though - maybe C3025?). Pleatco replacement cartridges x 4, 1.5HP Hayward Century Pump, Hayward Booster Pump (model 6060). Chlorine tab dispenser, which I won't be using. Polaris cleaner. TF-100.

9. Back To Top    #9

Why bump a 2 year old thread?

I meant the FAS-DPD with 25ml water so each drop is 0.2ppm. Sounds like you CC is not a problem.

High pH could be a problem. Sweat or sunscreen too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok thanks, appreciate the reply.
    Katy (Houston, TX) - 15,000 gallon In Ground free form kidney shaped 30'x15' pool with Pebble surface. Spa - 8' round with waterfall. Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter (not sure which model though - maybe C3025?). Pleatco replacement cartridges x 4, 1.5HP Hayward Century Pump, Hayward Booster Pump (model 6060). Chlorine tab dispenser, which I won't be using. Polaris cleaner. TF-100.