CYA Test Results

May 24, 2013
A pool store tested my SWG, pool water, CYA level on 7/6/13: 73 ppm. After 3 - 5 inches of rain and three pump outs of excess water, I had the CYA level tested again on 7/27/13: 68 ppm.

I used Taylor test kit K-2005 and received a reading, repeated three times, of 45 ppm. Given an error factor of plus or minus 15 for levels up to 90 ppm, should I go with the store results or Taylor's?

Should I add, say, 10 ppm of CYA and test again and make comparisions with the store? If I get 55 and the store gets 78, which should I depend upon?

My real problem is, I do not want to put more CYA in the pool than necessary, and I do not want to go above 85 ppm of CYA.

Also, a side note: I recently read that no more than 40 ppm of CYA is necessary. Any truth to this?

Thanks

With a SWG you can often manage to get the system to work (at all) at a wide range of CYA levels, but it will work most smoothly and last the longest if you keep CYA around 70 to 80.

As pwrstrk said, trust your own test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.