Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Test Results

A pool store tested my SWG, pool water, CYA level on 7/6/13: 73 ppm. After 3 - 5 inches of rain and three pump outs of excess water, I had the CYA level tested again on 7/27/13: 68 ppm.

I used Taylor test kit K-2005 and received a reading, repeated three times, of 45 ppm. Given an error factor of plus or minus 15 for levels up to 90 ppm, should I go with the store results or Taylor's?

Should I add, say, 10 ppm of CYA and test again and make comparisions with the store? If I get 55 and the store gets 78, which should I depend upon?

My real problem is, I do not want to put more CYA in the pool than necessary, and I do not want to go above 85 ppm of CYA.

Also, a side note: I recently read that no more than 40 ppm of CYA is necessary. Any truth to this?

19.5K, 18'x40', oval, IG, pebble, saltwater pool
    Jandy, 48 sf., DE filter (using Zeo Fiber instead of DE)
    Jandy, PLC 1400, SWG
    Zodiac, 1HP, single speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Re: CYA Test Results

Go with your results. The store mess's the cya test up bad.

CYA level for SWG is 70-80 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: CYA Test Results

With a SWG you can often manage to get the system to work (at all) at a wide range of CYA levels, but it will work most smoothly and last the longest if you keep CYA around 70 to 80.

As pwrstrk said, trust your own test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School