Crack found in new FB pool!

May 14, 2013
austin/texas
So I was vacuuming pool for the first time a few minutes ago and notice a crack on side of pool. First I thought maybe it was scratch but after diving in it I verified it's a pretty significant crack!!!
I immediately sent picture to PB and he was very surprised also and freaked out, since he was out here the day before and didn't see anything either. He will have Leisure rep come out to see the crack and determine if it can be repaired (hopefully?) or if pool needs to be replaced (hope not?). I have taken lots of pictures and will wait till tomorrow to see what they say but I am certainly not happy about this at all, since pool was just installed and haven't really even used it since decking and backyard is not complete yet. Thoughts, advice?

I looked at it closer with goggles and seems to be the surface gel coat only, as I didn't see any fiberglass threads in the cut. I don't think it's leaking water, but I put a tape mark on it and will check in the morning to see. PB will bring manufacturer out tomorrow to look at it, hopefully he said it's something that can be repaired, after they empty the pool and they will cover water cost. I guess if manufacturer says it's not big issue and can be repaired without affecting the warranty (and puts it in writing also) then I should be ok. Will see how it goes tomorrow.

PB came today and took underwater pictures of the crack. He mentioned look like it's only the gel coat and not structural. He is meeting with the FB production manager tomorrow to review and verify. Asked him to get in writing from them that this crack won't affect warranty. He mentioned they have a kit to fix the crack and it doesn't even require to empty the pool. Will post update tomorrow. In the meantime work continued on building the garage and outdoor kitchen area. Will post pictures on my construction post in a while.

So FB manufacturer saw the pictures and it will actually require to empty the pool and fix the crack (I thought fixing the crack without emptying the pool sounded a bit weird). It should happen over next couple of days, will post updates/pics when it happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. Just read your post. Sorry to hear about the crack. How did the repair go? Did Leisure provide written confirmation of the warranty despite the crack? Was it truly only in the gel coat? Finally, and most importantly, did they identify what caused the crack?

I've heard Leisure totally did away with their surface gelcoat warranty. Anyone else heard that?
I emailed them a week ago, but of course no reply. All the research I've been doing the past few years almost just makes we want to skip getting a pool. Seems like quality and customer service just isnt what it should be for the kind of money people are spending.

I haven't heard that about gel coat. I know owner is actually coming out to fix the crack and I requested and Leisure will provide a letter stating fixing this crack will not void the warranty on the pool and they stand behind it. Will let you know once they fix it and I have everything in writing as promised. I have to admit so far they have responded very well to this issue.

Let me clarify. So crack appeared to be surface but after doing the dye test and marking the pool level it was leak. After emptying the pool last night I noticed the bulge due to all the water that had leaked underneath it. There was no bulge before pool was emptied.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.