URGENT pool filter leaking

I have to disagree with Charlie, I wouldn't attempt to patch that. It's a split and will certainly get worse. Also since it's a polycarbonate vessel no type of glue is going to adhere to it very well.

I strongly suggest that you replace it.

The only suggestion I can offer if you attempt to repair it is the same thing that keeps wood from splitting. Drill a hole at either end of the split. Epoxy the filter and redrill the epoxy out of the holes. Then use an aluminum strip with holes drilled to match. Epoxy that in place and pop rivet it. Worst thing that can happen is you replace it any way. Good luck!

What you will have to do if you can repair it, is find out what material it is made of.

When you know that, then you can proceed to locate an appropriate resin or epoxy.

Yes, I know it is a pressure vessel. Yes, it can be repaired. It will take the proper materials, and will need to be reinforced with a mesh product such as woven fiberglass mat, several layers laid in crossing patterns, as in first layer horizontal/vertical, then second layer on the diagonal, third layer same as first, final layer diagonal. Strongly suggest that each layer go completely around the vessel, and at least 2" above and below the crack.

As WoodyP mentioned, the crack would have to be "stop drilled" and holes filled with epoxy.

Another method that takes specialized equipment that can be done before the fiber reinforced band would be to have it welded by a skilled plastic welder. Pinpoint hot air source and an appropriate plastic filler rod.

charlie_R, I have no doubt you could easily fix a problem like this, but if someone is inexperienced in anything like this do you trust them to do the work properly with nobody to oversee their work? I have to ask because, based on the questions fatboysam is asking, I don't know if he has much experience. I do not doubt he could learn with the proper guidance, but with nobody there to work with him do you think it is a good idea to proceed on this?

And fatboysam: If I am wrong and you do have experience in doing this type of work then I apologize for the assumption. I am just asking because doing this type of repair incorrectly could lead to what is technically called a catastrophic failure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Donldson said:
charlie_R, I have no doubt you could easily fix a problem like this, but if someone is inexperienced in anything like this do you trust them to do the work properly with nobody to oversee their work? I have to ask because, based on the questions fatboysam is asking, I don't know if he has much experience. I do not doubt he could learn with the proper guidance, but with nobody there to work with him do you think it is a good idea to proceed on this?

And fatboysam: If I am wrong and you do have experience in doing this type of work then I apologize for the assumption. I am just asking because doing this type of repair incorrectly could lead to what is technically called a catastrophic failure.

I understand what you are saying Donldson. I was going on the assumption that fatboysam would be able to make the correct assessment of his abilities in doing this repair or hiring it out to someone with the proper equipment/training in working with a pressure vessel that could cause considerable damage if not repaired properly.

When I power up my pump, my filter expands about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch vertically. It's a visible movement you can see. I have to assume the expansion around the girth is there also....I just can't visually see it.

That's not a situation that calls for patching of any type, but that's OP's call....not mine.

Donldson said:

Could not agree more. Money constraints or not, there is no reason to risk attempting a patch and finding out the hard way that it did not work. Could potentially injure people, not just finish destroying itself.

All,
Thanks for your time.

I do not have enough experience in doing this kind of a patch, I tried the Marine Tex epoxy and it started leaking in 30 seconds.
As many of you suggested, I will be looking for a new/used filter, I am attaching the label from my current filter, please help me in finding new/used filter. Thanks a lot . The filter was manufactured by Hayward for Shasta pools.

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 191
  • photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 191
You can probably plumb it up yourself for less than 50 bucks if you take your time and measure everything well. It's just PVC. Easy peazee, lemon squeezy.

If money is an issue, it's definitely a DIY project if you have a little confidence and patience. Otherwise I would figure about 300 from a pool store.

BTW, totally the right call on getting a new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.