NEW IG POOL/ NEW CHEMICALS/ NEW USER

Mar 10, 2013
Folks,,
The pool builder gave my pool an initial treatment on 7/26. I failed to record the readings..
I have since been testing since 7/28 using the Taylor K-2006 kit..
Below are my findings..

The initial treatment by builder was shock/ stabilizer conditioner/ and a hexaborate water harmonizer.

My readings on 7/27
FC .4
CC 3.2
PH 7
ALK 30
CH 150
Did not measure CYA :?: :hammer:

Added some shock to increase FC and Baking Soda to increase PH..

Readings on 7/28
FC 8.8
CC .8
PH 7.3
ALK 70
CH 180
CYA 43

Pump has been running 23 hrs. per day since startup. We had some rain yesterday several times..
I turned the chlorine feeder down to 1/2, builder had it on max. added 13.3 oz baking soda to increase the PH..

Am I on the right road? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Search Houston Pool Build under construction for pics..

Looks like the water harmonizer is just borates, a lot of people here consider that a positive. As has been mentioned the baking soda will raise your TA, but there's a good chance that is going raise your pH so you may want to just leave it. 7.3 pH is within range. It looks like you are using a 25 ml sample size for your chlorine tests? If so a 10 ml test size will save reagent and 0.5 accuracy is plenty.

Bama is correct, time to shut off the tablets. You also mentioned using a "shock", do you mean a powder? If so what type of chlorine is it?

So far everything looks fine.

What was the ingredients of the granular 'shock' and are you still using it?

Your CYA is already on the upper end of the recommended range. If you continue to use tablets you are going to have to watch your CYA regularly and increase your minimum FC as your CYA rises.

New results.. Feel pretty good about these considering my water isn't a week old yet..
I added

FC 5.0
TC 5.5
PH 7.6
TA 90
CH 340
CYA 39
SI 0

My IPAD ap says to add another 1 lb, 4 oz of trichlor shock to fix my CC.. Your thoughts...
By the way the app for the ipad is "the pool monitor".. Just if your curious
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CAVJOCK22 said:
My IPAD ap says to add another 1 lb, 4 oz of trichlor shock to fix my CC.. Your thoughts...
It might be time to consider a new app. The Pool Calculator is available in the app store and is based on the methodology used here. It will never tell you to add trichlor shock, which will raise your CYA. You don't need to worry about 0.5 CC, but if it rises then you should use the SLAM process and bleach to correct it. Your CYA is good, adding too much more could lead to trouble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.