Algae help

dogdays

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2013
:? In my 3rd day of a first ever SLAM, my water has been clear the entire time, however I had green crud growing on the bottom and cove. Since the first brushing there has been no sign of green, CL level has been kept at 30+, I also have brushed at least twice a day. Today decided to shut down the filter for 1 hour to disassemble and clean, OMG split pea soup oozed out. Filter is now back running with new DE. Could the crud in the filter be causing my OCLT to fail, dropped 8 ppm last night :?:

I do not have lights but do have steps mounted to the deck, we removed them and disassembled what we could and there was green inside the steps, removed all the sand that we could and rinsed and bleached the insides, and added new sand(weight). Failed another OCLT last night dropped 4.5ppm, brushed and recholrinatd this morning, trouble is pool water looks gorgeous.Will attach pic as soon as I figure out how to upload. Thx and any recommendations are very welcome at this point.

You are very close...keep the faith. Do you still see any visible algae? If so, brush it up into the chlorinated water to get it killed quickly. It may cloud your water a bit but that'll clear up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thx for the encouragement. Bama I did get bleach into the rails was also able to get a small brush inside. Charlie, I need to look at that again pretty sure we cleaned there, during this marathon I can't remember what or when, except for CL readings, I have been logging those.

Clearly the filter was the primary source of the problem, but are you sure it's now clean? How about the pump basket and the skimmer basket? If you can't find anything, then a SLAM should eventually get rid of it IF circulation of chlorinated water is good, but I'm concerned with how the filter got so cruddy in the first place. It seems that the chlorinated water isn't getting circulated through the system properly.

Chem Geek,we disassembled the filter, hosed down the socks and then rinsed them in bleach water, also cleaned inside filter housing and pump basket with bleach water. We did reclean skimmer and basket as Charlie suggested. Recharged the filter with the proper amount of DE, circulation is good. Hopefully this will do it.

Grand SLAM

Mod Edit: Please keep all of you posts for the same issue in the same thread. Thanks, linen forum moderator

:-D I believe we won the battle. Question now is should I maintain 24/7 pump operation and maintain a higher than normal FC level for a few more days or can I resume normal pump time, I do 6 hrs a day, and let FC drop on its own, also should I disassemble and clean out the filter again, just did it on Sun., I am rather paranoid now. Had to reorder R-0871, don't know if I could get 1 more 25+ FC test. Thanks to all :sleep: :-D

Just to confirm...have you passed all three "end of shocking criteria" in the SLAM process (also in my sig)? If yes, then you can let your FC drop to normal levels and go back to your regular pump operation. If no, then keep at the SLAM process.

You should clean your DE filter again when it goes up 25% from the "clean" pressure.

Yes, CC= 0, My wife had to due the OCLT last night for me due to my work schedule- FC drop < 1 I did FC test when I got home and appears right FC same as yesterday afternoon no chlorine was added, water is crystal clear

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.