Fixing the leaking sand drain plug on my filter

Soupy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Maryland
I have what appears to be a Pentair Triton II sand filter. I say "appears" because it doesn't have any label or identifying markings that I can find. But it looks just like one, namely, the wrench, the lid, the diffuser assembly inside, etc. Note that the pressure gauge and air bleed as seen in the photo aren't original.

Parts diagram:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/par ... s-214.htm#
And with pictures of the individual components:
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-78-pen ... parts.aspx

The leak is coming from the sand drain plug, part number 17 on the diagram. Water is actually spraying horizontally out of a crack in the side of the hex end of the sand plug, which you can sorta see in the photo.

Pentair used different sand drain plugs in different years of manufacture. The pool dates back to 1978, and I've only lived in the house for about four years, so I don't know the year of the filter, or if it's original. But based on the pictures of the drain plugs, it looks like mine is part 154685, with the 1/2" NPT threads. The hex head on the sand plug is wider than the threaded end on 154685, which is what mine looks like. So I think I've figured out that part.

The big question is, does anyone think I can replace the sand drain plug without emptying the sand out of the filter first? If I drain the water out of the filter first, I'm hoping that the sand or gravel inside won't instantly collapse and I can get the new plug in. Is this remotely realistic?

If not, I'm going to have to remove the top of the diffuser assembly inside the filter to do anything inside there; there isn't much gap around it. Any hints? Should it just screw right out? Obviously I want to be able to get it apart without breaking anything.

I'm also thinking about wrapping a hose clamp around the hex end of that drain plug and hope it mitigates the leak enough for me to ignore it until swim season ends.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Leak (Medium).jpg
    Leak (Medium).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0487 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0487 (Medium).JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 78
I would take the plug to a hardware store and first try to find if it will thread onto anything there. If it does then just by a plug for that size.

It may or may not be possible to find a replacement at a hardware store but that's where I would look first.

Well, the job is done and went about as well as could be imagined. I lost maybe 1/2 of a cup of sand when I pulled the plug out, and had no trouble putting the new one in, other than making sure I didn't get any sand on the threads. That took a little careful rinsing and wiping to get right.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.