Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My wife will never go in this pool again.....

1. Back To Top    #1

My wife will never go in this pool again.....

I'll preface by saying she actually removes frogs and mice from the pool regularly, but this.....

Yeah, a skunk. I was pretty surprised when I saw it.

My plan is to get the pool to shock level for a day or two which I think will be sufficient but beyond that there is nothing else I should be doing right?
    16x32x7'6", ~23000 gallons, IG, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My wife will never go in this pool again.....

No hes intact just drowned right? If so just do an oclt and swim
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have one of our recommended test kits ? You'll need one to maintain shock level to kill everything off.

Read the SLAM process in pool school. I would be SLAMING too if that was found I'm my pool. Just to be on the safe side. IMO.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses; I do have a good test kit and the skunk was intact and looks like it drowned.

I'll test the water and post results. But generally our target chlorine levels are in range (4-8) for our CYA level (50), when I get lazy they do dip lower than 4 occasionally but no algae blooms or anything like that this year.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wild animals carry bacteria etc that you don't want hanging around in your pool. Pwrstrk is right about bring to SLAM level, then OCLT.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Current Pool Readings after removing skunk
    FC: 4ppm
    CC: 0.5ppm
    CYA: 40-50

I fully intend on bringing the pool to shock levels; I have kids and would much rather play it safe. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be doing anything else.

Thanks again

7. Back To Top    #7

A day at shock level should take care of any issues.........seeing how it is "fresh".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

yup, if it was my pool, id toss that thing out quick, get that pump going 24/7 and SLAM it for a couple of days. i would probably conveniently forget to tell the wife about the skunk... much like I conveniently forgot to tell mine about that snake that came up into the drain line in her washing machine that time and clogged it... she thinks it was a sock..... she'd never go near that sucker again if she knew that had happened and we cant have that!!!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

WOW. I'll never complain about the mice & moles I find in my pool again!

10. Back To Top    #10

Was it scratching the corner tiles of your liner? They look like they are less blue than on the side. Was the liner pulled out of track or did the skunk do that too?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    Was it scratching the corner tiles of your liner? They look like they are less blue than on the side. Was the liner pulled out of track or did the skunk do that too?
    I don't think he was asking about his liner. He was more concerned about the skunk. We've had bats before. I just brought it to a high shock level and let it stay a few days. Unfortunate for that to happen in the middle of prime swim time.
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

The liner was in it's current state since we bought the house almost 2 yrs ago.

Just to give an idea of the condition of the pool; we've been here for almost 2yrs and last month was the first time we've been in the pool. I don't know if we would be in it yet without this forum!!

After I do the ascorbic acid treatment, I'll be searching how to put the liner back on that corner!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by nyy845
    After I do the ascorbic acid treatment, I'll be searching how to put the liner back on that corner!
    easy.....hot water poured behind it, stretch it and put back in the track.
    17k gal (16x32 ig), vinyl, Hayward DE filter, Taylor K-2006, south Louisiana

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by aasbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    I don't think he was asking about his liner. He was more concerned about the skunk. We've had bats before. I just brought it to a high shock level and let it stay a few days. Unfortunate for that to happen in the middle of prime swim time.
    I know he wasn't asking. I was asking. It just looked like the critter may have scratched it trying to get out. It's dead now so it doesn't even matter and he got his answer in the first 2 post.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter