Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 3900 Sport making noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 3900 Sport making noise

Good morning:
    My 3 year old Polaris 3900 Sport is making a loud whining noise. The noise is coming from the cleaner itself-not the pump. The wheel rotation is slow by about 8 rpm. The back up valve is working as designed and there are no leaks in the hose. I intend on taking it apart to see if there is anything obvious but was wondering if someone on the forum has an idea of what to look for. Thanks in advance. Jim

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Polaris 3900 Sport making noise

Welcome to TFP!
    I don't have a polaris so my experience is very limited...but problems are very often caused by crud clogging the screens or getting in the guts. Hopefully someone else will stop by who can help!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Polaris 3900 Sport making noise

Thanks for the reply! Last weekend I took "The Dog" apart and found what I thought were rough bearings in the drivetrain case and witness marks on the inboard side of the turbine wheel and adjacent case. It almost looked like they had been in contact or there had been some debris lodged in between them. I ordered bearings and put them in yesterday but this time I took the top of the cleaner off too. When I set it down on the bench I heard water moving and found the float had about 2 ounces of water in it. Off to the local pool store for a float which is now made opaque silver rather than transparent blue. It includes a screw and bushing for attaching rather than a tooth washer. "Dog" is now running around the pool at the right speed with tail sweeping and he's climbing the walls quietly.