BBB has turned my wife into a "pool snob" (true story)

thepiratemorgan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Central NY
Laying on our pool floats one day talking about how a neighbor's son contracted swimmers ear.
Wife - "We're picky about swimming in other people's pools nowadays, aren''t we?"

Me - "Well dear, up on the troublefreepool forum they call it being a "pool snob"."

Wife - "Then I guess we fit the term."

Recently (last week), I refused to let my daughter (made excuses not to even visit the RV Park AND thank God for cool, cloudy, windy days) swim at a pool at said RV Park in a resort town on the shores of Maryland. Last year, the pool was so green and cloudy you wouldn't have seen a human body at the bottom of it. The same neighbor whose one son was coming off "swimmers ear" from the week before (and not because of my pool :-D) was staying at this RV park and said the pool didn't look much better this year. I told him he was better off swimming in the ocean. Well, he didn't listen, and his other son came down with "swimmers ear" and the son who was trying to clear his now has what looks like "hot tub rash" on his face. (a couple of small pea sized red irritated spots that certainly look suspicious of it).

With that being said, I want to thank the mods and the experts up here for turning my wife and I into "pool snobs"! It helps keep our daughter healthy. I have been doing the BBB method for three seasons now and my pool has contracted "sparklypoolitis" the moment I uncover her in the spring! I still say you could read a 14 font letter off the bottom of my 52" ABG.

For those thinking of using the BBB Method - It WORKS and is economical! It turns a guessing game into an exact size with real answers and is not at all difficult. The money invested in a good test kit easily gets recouped the first season, if not, the second.

I also want to apologize for not frequenting the forum more and helping others as I was helped here. Because the BBB Method works so well I haven't had any issues to post. But I should try to be a little less selfish I guess and share the knowledge. Halfway through this season, and I will try and peruse the forum more.

Maybe you could sneak in and take a sample of the RV park's pool. A large enough sample that you could test, and have enough left over to take to the health department with your results.

If the public pool is that bad, it poses a public health issue, as attested by your neighbor's recent problems.

Welcome to the ranks of "pool snobbery"!

I know what your saying. With me it's my 12 year old son and of course kids will speak their minds. We were at some friends. The pool looked good, just a slight haze. My son jumped in and his first question when he surfaced was why is it so cloudy under water. Looking right at our friends he told them. You need to talk to my dad, he can fix this. I started to give the basic concept of how it's done. I got to the part about using bleach and both of our friends were like :shock: . I then told them how much I spend keeping up my pool and left it at that. We will see if they bite. That's how I unpoolstored my neighbors.

jcowart said:
I know what your saying. With me it's my 12 year old son and of course kids will speak their minds. We were at some friends. The pool looked good, just a slight haze. My son jumped in and his first question when he surfaced was why is it so cloudy under water. Looking right at our friends he told them. You need to talk to my dad, he can fix this. I started to give the basic concept of how it's done. I got to the part about using bleach and both of our friends were like :shock: . I then told them how much I spend keeping up my pool and left it at that. We will see if they bite. That's how I unpoolstored my neighbors.

When people give you that :shock: look, remind them that the pool store is selling the same thing. Have them go get their bottle of liquid shock and read the label, the read the bleach jug label.

When the give your the :?: :!: :?: look after, then explain what the use of dichlor and cal hypo are doing to their pool chemistry.

Charlie_R said:
When the give your the :?: :!: :?: look after, then explain what the use of dichlor and cal hypo are doing to their pool chemistry.
Did that with friends last year. "I hear what you are saying but we have all these trichlor tabs to use up so will continue the way we are".

3 weeks ago got a phone call - "please help, we cannot get rid of this green for more than a couple of days".

Went round, told them to dump some of their water and go buy a load of 14% chlorine from where I get mine. Last week, beautiful clean, sparkly pool, and they got me to order a test kit for them. :cheers: That should arrive Tuesday. :party:

And they are probably reading this right now, so they know who they are :lol: :lol:

Charlie_R said:
Maybe you could sneak in and take a sample of the RV park's pool. A large enough sample that you could test, and have enough left over to take to the health department with your results.

If the public pool is that bad, it poses a public health issue, as attested by your neighbor's recent problems.

Welcome to the ranks of "pool snobbery"!

Seriously thinking of doing this next year, or at least report them, when I see the same swamp I've seen the last two years now!!! I can only imagine how many people have been sickened by this pool! The pool at our beachfront condo complex in the same resort town is always clear, may not have "sparklypoolitis" like mine at home, but always clear. In fact, I saw the pool maintenance company worker actually counting the pool users one day... I rested well that night!

And funny, after this latest post of mine I saw some articles and recent news about E.Coli levels in public pools on the rise and pool illnesses being on the rise as well!! I work in health care and I know all too well the dangers of these "baddies". Aye aye aye .... I'll stick with being a pool snob.

jcowart said:

Same thing happens to a couple co-workers of mine, although they won't admit it in front of me as they balked at my "method of madness" years ago. I just smile when I see some of their pics that may show them in their pool with cloudy water and all. They mention how they take their water samples down to the pool store to get "schooled" on what they need next ...and I just stay at home and sit back and watch my pool sparkle with my shades on :cool: !!!

OliveGrove said:
Charlie_R said:
Did that with friends last year. "I hear what you are saying but we have all these trichlor tabs to use up so will continue the way we are".

3 weeks ago got a phone call - "please help, we cannot get rid of this green for more than a couple of days".

Went round, told them to dump some of their water and go buy a load of 14% chlorine from where I get mine. Last week, beautiful clean, sparkly pool, and they got me to order a test kit for them. :cheers: That should arrive Tuesday. :party:

And they are probably reading this right now, so they know who they are :lol: :lol:

And if they're reading right now, welcome to the forum ...from here on out you will have crystal clear water with moderate initial effort and then waning to only slight effort on your part!! Read, read, read, "Pool School" ....and then read it again. It won't take long, or massive amounts of knowledge, to get things in order and maintained.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.