Carribean blue on Friday hazy army green mess on Sat.-HELP

Jul 14, 2013
Good Morning, New to this forum and after going to the pool store several times yesterday, to no avail, I figured I'd try to find someone that could save my sanity here, since the majority of posts are very knowledgeable!

Issue: water was Caribbean blue on Thursday(city tap fill complete), Friday it started to turn cloudy from addition of 15 lbs. of Calcium Hardener, Sat. it was a 30,000 gallon hazy army green after the addition of 3, 1 lb. of Potassium Monopersulfate(non-chlorine shock)

My Water Chemistry:
Thursday: Finished filling 30,000 gallon gunite pool with city tap water and during fill time added 2 quarts of mineral out to fill water since I know I have a metals problem with my city water(or at least that is what I have been told), it was a beautiful Caribbean blue on Thursday:
Ph=8.0
alkalinity=110
chlorine level=0 (city tap water)
Calcium level=50

Friday:
Added 15 lbs. of Calcium Hardener in 3 lb. increments broadcast over deep end, cloudy blue water on Sat. morning:
Calcium=120
Ph=8
alk=110
chlorine=0
Still no Chlorine addition since weather has been cool and rainy, today looks to be sunny and beautiful so decided to add sanitizer(non-chlorine)

Sat. Afternoon:
Added 3 x 1 lbs. of Potassium monopersulfate(non-chlorine sanitizer)
Pool turned a hazy army green mess. pretty quickly
Back to the pool store for liquid readings:
Ph=7.6
alkalinity dropped to = 40(don't know how it dropped this much from the 110 above)
Calcium hardness= 90
Chlorine=0 still

Please let me know if the K monopersulfate oxidized something in my pool to turn it this awful green and what I should do to correct it? I have since added some more Iron away because I think it might still be a metal issue?
We have has no real pool use over the last three days, and it has been cool with some rain, and I have run my sand filter consistently, and have seen no rise in pressure gauge.

Thank You for any help! I tried to upload photos, since these pictures are worth a thousand words, but files were to big.

Re: Carribean blue on Friday hazy army green mess on Sat.-HE

Welcome to TFP !!

I don't know what all that stuff is that you are using, but I do know you need chlorine in the water ward off algae. Going to the pool store for advice is a another problem.

Spend some time in pool school. pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Welcome! :wave:

You need chlorine to kill algae and stabilizer to protect that chlorine from the sun. MPS is a fine oxidizer, but it doesn't sanitize. Bleach can do both. It's going to be rough, a brand new pool and already having to SLAM it to get rid of the green. The fact that it's cloudy points to algae, not just metals.

If you really want to take control of things, you will need your own test kit. Period. Spend your money wisely and get one of the recommended kits. We can understand that you want that pool clear now, but spend some time reading in Pool School.

Assuming you haven't added any CYA/stabilizer yet, the shock level is 10. Adding 3.75 jugs of 8.25% standard Clorox will get you there. I would start with that, now. But you'll need a test kit to maintain that level.

The pool water isn't hazy anymore, clear green. I think the haze was due to the calcium hardener I added Friday, before the non-chlorine sanitizer was added. I've added baking soda now in increments to increase TA, I need about 15 lbs. to bring it up to 100 ppm and then I'll tackle decreasing the Ph before addition of the Chlorine? My phosphate level was at 2500, would that cause the pool to green immediately upon adding the non-chlorine sanitizer?

gunite89 said:
The pool water isn't hazy anymore, clear green. I think the haze was due to the calcium hardener I added Friday, before the non-chlorine sanitizer was added. I've added baking soda now in increments to increase TA, I need about 15 lbs. to bring it up to 100 ppm and then I'll tackle decreasing the Ph before addition of the Chlorine? My phosphate level was at 2500, would that cause the pool to green immediately upon adding the non-chlorine sanitizer?
Immediate green is likely iron. Against the blue pool, the pale orange looks green.

You dumped in a strong oxidizer, so it oxidized the dissolved iron. Rust = iron oxide. Use the search box to read up on other peoples' problems with iron and green water at startup.

But that still doesn't negate the need for a test kit, stabilizer, and residual chlorine.

Phosphates don't have any relevance on pool chemistry, if you manage your pool properly.

It sounds like you are following pool store advice which won't fit in at all with what we teach and you will end up stuck in the middle. You should choose them or choose what we teach but don't try to do both.....it never works.

Clear green water changing so rapidly indicates the presence of iron in your water. Filtration and time will remove the tiny, tiny particles which have precipitated out and your pool will be clear soon.

A sequestrant will likely speed the process but filtering is better as long as you don't see ANY staining.

Do not expect much psi increase as the iron filters out....I can't explain why but that's what mine does.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.