Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Vacuuming on Intex 22' x 52"

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Vacuuming on Intex 22' x 52"

Hello All. Just bought and installed our new Intex pool. We are having a great time in it! Trying to get ahead of pool maintenance and am brand new at it. All that came with the pool was a vacuum head and no manual or instructions. I know absolutely nothing about how to set up or use it and am asking for advice, hints, links, etc. Thanks in advance.
    Intex 22'x52"
    Ultra-Frame
    Krystal Clear Model 633T 2500GPH Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Vacuuming on Intex 22' x 52"

It looks like your pool comes with the Venturi style vac which works great for bigger stuff but IMO doesn't get enough of the smaller particles. Your better of looking into upgrading to a sand filter.

As for using the vac you have look on YouTube for vids on the intex Venturi vacuum.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What pump did your pool come with?

Anything less that 2500 GPH will not be enough to run a regular suction vacuum.

Your "garden hose vacuum" can be used. You will, however, need to add to the bag. A couple pair of knee-high stockings inside the bag will help. but will still leave you with the really fine dirt on the bottom of the pool.

Do yourself a favor, and get a regular curved pool brush and pole. Most normal pool cleaning equipment will not fit the Intex pole.

If you upgrade your pump/filter, you can then buy a pool hose and vacuum head.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Found out my pump is 2500 GPH so at least I should be able to use a regular vac (with some sizing modifications thanks to Intex). Now know how to use my venturi vac in the meantime.

Next question. What is a skimmer? Sorry to sound so stupid but I am a rookie. I have the inlet to the pump in the side of the pool but I am guessing that that is not the skimmer? I am hoping that this is something that will help with bug parts as I seem to have an endless supply of those.
    Intex 22'x52"
    Ultra-Frame

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Trying to get ahead of pool maintenance and am brand new at it
    Off your topic, but what have you done about your chemistry?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Intex skimmer.

REAL skimmer.

You can use either.

If you use the through the wall, you can get an adapter for it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Took a sample to the local pool store. They set me up with a test kit, stabilizer, and shock with instructions. Already had chlorine. Latest test shows to be pretty balanced.
    Intex 22'x52"
    Ultra-Frame

8. Back To Top    #8

Numbers from the pool store? And what kit did they sell you?

If it isn't a DPD powder and FAS drop for chlorine, it's not quite what you need.

Does it have the CYA test?

9. Back To Top    #9

Remember, still a rookie. Alphabet soup doesn't mean a lot. ; )
    Intex 22'x52"
    Ultra-Frame

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, http://tftestkits.net/ is the type of test kit you need.

pool-school/swimming_pool_definitions_abbreviations should give you a heads-up on the lingo.

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison will show you what we know to be essential to pool upkeep.

Take some time to read through pool-school/

Most of what you need to know is in there. It will seem confusing at first, but read through it several times, and things will become clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Great. Thanks!
    Intex 22'x52"
    Ultra-Frame

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    Intex skimmer.

REAL skimmer.

You can use either.

If you use the through the wall, you can get an adapter for it.
    Or many of us use this one on the intex pools. http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1091LX- ... rd+skimmer

It includes the skimmer plate for hooking up a vacuum, and a hose barb which the intex hose fits right over and can be secured with a hose clamp. You will probably want to also add a ball valve for the bottom of the skimmer unless you want to move the crappy intex valve to the pump side of the hose. If you choose to use the Hayward ball valve, this one (the FIP size) http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP0723-Tr ... ball+valve works great.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter