Starting to clean a green pool with algae

Jul 22, 2013
Hi friends..I'm starting to treat green pool and remove algae. I've done some homework on this site (pool school etc) over the past 2 weeks. My pool is 24' X 54" deep. Over the last 2 hours I have taken 2 samples listed below:

1st sample:
FC 1.0
PH 8.2
TA 340
CH 100
CYA 40

2nd sample (1 hour later)

FC 6
PH 8.2
TA 350
CH 800
CYA 40

The pool calculator calls for me to add 23 oz. of muratic acid. Just thought I would ask some experts on here if this seems to be going OK, to make sure I get going on the right foot! Thanks in advance!!

KYLEMOORE1234 said:
The pool calculator calls for me to add 23 oz. of muratic acid.
This depends on what you want to lower the pH to, given your starting pH of 8.2.

Since you have a green pool, you need to begin the The SLAM Process. In order to properly do this, you will need one of the Recommended Test Kits.

This is a bit of an aside, but I notice a huge difference in the CH readings from the 1st and 2nd samples (going from 100 to 800 in one hour). To reiterate pwrstrk's question, What test kit are you using? This dramatic swing makes me very suspect of the accuracy and is a reason why we often harp on the importance of a good test kit.

Ok friends, I just re-tested my pool again and here are my readings:

FC 7
PH 7.8
TA 300 WTH??
CYA 30
CH 150

I've been using the Pool Calculator, but just wanted to know if you guys had any additional advice..THANKS!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think your TA test will be quite bit lower when you wipe the dropper tip but more importantly, are you aware you are not yet treating for algae which you indicated in your first post?

You do not have NEARLY enough chlorine....you need to SLAM the pool.

The SLAM process is in pool school and is the correct way to clear an algae pool.

Ok friends..I know I need to post specs in signature....but it's a 24' x 54" deep pool. My latest test results are listed below:

FC 13.0 (Someone told me target is 14 for the SLAM process)
PH 8.4
TA 250
CYA 40
CH 200
Outside temperature is 90 degrees.
The Pool calculator suggests I add 28 oz. of bleach and 62 0z of muratic acid, so I'm in the process of adding that now. Any suggestions
that I should know about. For the record, since I started this SLAM process yesterday morning, I have added 11 gallons of bleach with suggested muratic acid. The pool started out brown, and now looks like cloudy white/extremely light green. It seems I am making some progress in this aspect. Thanks a lot!!

Thank you..so if I continue to add chlorine and follow SLAM guidelines, will the pool become clear? And if so, can you estimate how many days? I kniow there many conditions that may affect this, just thought I would ask. I appreciate your help!

Don't test pH while FC is above 10ppm. The test will show a falsely high pH. Adjust pH when you are below FC of 10 and assume it is OK until the SLAM is complete.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.