Nebraska green pool newbie!

Jun 8, 2013
Nebraska
I've been reading things like crazy on here, and i'm literally lost more now than before...my 22 X 52 intek pool ended up getting the swg with white buildup all over it..so i'm in the process of soaking it in vinegar as i type. then i plan to dump 8.25 bleach into it to after I hook it all up and start the pump. My question is. how long you think i need to soak said swg, and then blast water through till clean i take it? then how much bleach you think I should dump in? sure hope this method of conversation works as I am running out of daylight sigh

I added the muriatic acid last night, then after awhile i poured in the bleach. Had the pump running all night and when I checked this morning its almost back to normal. There was some dirt on the bottom of the pool, and some brownish green along the walls in a few spots but that was it. I changed my filter already and have it running and am sweeping the walls and floor. My hardness is between 200-400 (i only have strips as the taylor kit is coming in a few days in the mail), My FC level reads about 3/6, ph cant really read cuz looks like it's either 7.5 or 8.4, TA is at least in 180 + range, CYA appears to be 30-50 range. My question now is, do I need to add more bleach to get rid of the remaining algae issue or sweep it and let the filter do the work and turn on the SWG to start producing hopefully now that it's been cleaned. Thank you guys sooo much for your reply's this site is truly a GREAT place to come for help! You guys rock!

My question now is, do I need to add more bleach to get rid of the remaining algae
Yes, but I would suggest a "holding pattern" until your good kit arrives. approx. 1/2 jug of bleach each evening will get you through until you can take meaningful tests.

If you have visible algae you need to SLAM. follow the instructions in pool school for the SLAM process.

You will need one of our recommended test kits for that process. You can't use the SWG for the SLAM. Bleach is the way to fly for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

awesome guys thanks! I did the slam treatment last night and its looking much improved i do say. I just swept everything good and have the filter running..I tested again using my "guess strips" and here are the numbers: hardness 500,TC=5,FC=between 3-5, PH at least 8.4 if not higher from the look of it, TA=240 could be higher, CYA=100 or slightly lower.
Thoughts? I am thinking I'll add 60 oz or so of bleach, and was thinking I should pour more muriatic acid in, but not sure if I should wait on that one, or do the muriatic acid and wait on the bleach...so sorry to keep bugging you guys with this..but we're getting very close to swimming again!! appreciate it!

Without valid test results its hard to guide you.

I would consider one of the recommended test kits. It's the right tool for the job. In this case slamming the pool is the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pwrstrk, I'm working feverishly man! lol...but i'm caught to decide if its more important to get my PH level down via muriatic acid, or kill the remaining algae by adding more bleach. My FC level is in the accepted range, but not sure if I should bump it up to shock range more or not.

the pool is looking MUCH better, but my PH level is still WAY high..I dumped 128 oz. of muriatic acid in and not change on the PH levels. It's the "safer muriatic acid" so i'm assuming its not the 31 % and is more like 15 % or even less. I just finished off the bottle so will test shortly to see if any change. I'm just using the pump non stop and swept it good this morning, and what a difference it's made. I'm thinking I'll have to go buy another jug of acid though or maybe two to get the PH level down or I'll run into the same calcification of the SWG again and have the same problems all over again. ugh

ok finally i see a drop after a whole bottle of "safer muriatic acid", It now says 7.8, So need to go buy another jug of that stuff to add and get it a little lower i'm assuming. The other levels are all about the same so my question is now. Do I start up the SWG as the pool isn't really green anymore, and my FC level is hovering around 3-5 range. It's only in the low 70's today and cloudy. I will change the filter one more time this evening, and brush the pool again. Am considering dumping in a little bit more bleach as well for good measure. Thoughts?

my PH is in low 7 range finally, and my FC is now about 10..but the water still has a green hint to it. am I advised to add more bleach before I go to bed tonight? I worry my FC levels will get too high then ..or is that not an issue?

I am going to be pretty blunt so don't be offended, please.

You have not followed the SLAM process at all. read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School.

You are trying to fix your pool in a few hours by guessing at what you think it needs next. Testing with the strips is guesswork as well.

SLAM process contains no guesswork. It is precise dosages with predictable results and the only way to get your pool really clear and keep it clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.