Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Take down or leave up?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Gastonia, NC

Take down or leave up?

I know I'm a few months early with this question but I'm wanting to do some landscaping around my pool and the type of landscaping is going to be determine by whether I take the pool down for the fall/winter or leave it up.

Everyone can see below what type of pool I have. I live right outside of Charlotte, NC.

Is taking down an Intex Ultra Frame Pool a necessity or option?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4600 gallons, Intex Ultra Metal Frame 14' round 4' depth, SWG, cartridge filter pump, 2500 gph, Pool finish date: 7/16/13.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mexico, MO

Re: Take down or leave up?

Many people here on the forums are leaving their Intex up over winter. Even those in very cold areas. In Pool School you will find a checklist for closing an AGP.

I plan on leaving mine up this winter.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

I've read that some people leave them up all year. I guess it depends on where they live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Augusta, Kansas

Do you all cover your ultimate frAme? The winter wind tore the cover from intex up the first winter. Just wondering what others do

15,000 salty gallons - 32' x 16' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

People leave them up all winter around these parts in NW brrrr Ohio.
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

6. Back To Top    #6

Just make sure you have a good cover that will last. You might also look at ways of making a "tent" out of it. Some way to make a high peak in the middle so rain will run off and not fill it up.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

7. Back To Top    #7
    Westchester, NY

I'm taking mine down. There's some things I'm not happy about, and I'll fix them in the spring.
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method

8. Back To Top    #8

I would like to leave mine up. But a couple things are still nagging at me about this.

I need re-level some areas, reset some legs.

Intex recommends that anywhere that will experience below freezing temps to NOT leave their PVC pool up

A cold brittle liner just might be susceptible to cracking. Not worth the chance to me.

So I'm thinking, for me, that it has to come down this fall.
    Intex 18'x48" Ultra Frame
    2 - Intex 1500gph Type A cartridge filter pumps
    One thru-wall skimmer.
    Manual care monitored with the TF100 Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Leaving mine up, but don't know why. It seems that my liner was seriously defective. It started when I saw a black buildup on the floor and scrubbed it. Well that must been some patch or something, since I saw the next day a hole so big I could have put my fist through. Then after that I kept getting little pin holes. I used mason sand, a tarp, and gorilla padding to protect the liner. So I probably will have to buy another liner next year anyways.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have an 18x52 pro series, Intex SWG and Intex .5 hp sand pump/filter. and I'm leaving mine up. I closed today (a bit early but I don't think I will have the time before it's too late).

Last year we took ours down and it was a complete muddy mess and not to mention it wasn't stored properly and somehow we ended up with a damaged pool (RIP Pollio I).

Here is what we did:
    Used Sink and Sweep to get all the floating debris
    Cleaned the top rails and inside just above the water line to ensure it was all clean
    Disconnected the SWG and the Pump, cleaned both very well and lubed all the O rings (I left the actual sand filter outside to be covered after back washing and draining)
    Drained the pool to below the skimmer.
    We put in an air pillow and covered with a winter cover.

I did NOT add any special winter chemicals. I'm new at this but I get mixed responses from people as to if I should have or not. I live in GA so I might see some ice, but there is no plumbing to worry about.

What do you guys think?
    [center:206csv7f]Pro Series 18" X 52" AKA "Poolio"
    Intex 2500 .5 HP
    Intex SWG