Pumbing and Salt issue

Jul 9, 2013
[attachment=0:xy63wgak]pool filterand pump1.jpg[/attachment:xy63wgak]
Take a look at where the booster pump for my polaris draws from just after the filter before the cell.. With the pump off there is still water that passes the pump. So this reduces the percentage of water exposed to the Cell for conversion.
also here is the biggie... after having to always reset the SWG panel many times on low salt and or flow issues. I cleaned cell with 2/3 water 1/3 acid. and it read accuratly. and reset the panel instant/average salt reading. Next day still found panel tripped.
Findings: While at the panel and all running well, the Polaris kicked on to clean. The salt reading dropped to 800 on the instant reading, so this reading calculates the average salt that the computer uses to run the system, I think.
Question: Should I re-work the plumbing so that the booster pump pulls just after the main pump before the filter??

Attachments

• pool filterand pump1.jpg
    pool filterand pump1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 61
The booster pump needs to be after the filter (at least that's what most manufacturers suggest). I think there are two issues causing the problem.

1. The SWG is too close to where the pump draws at the tee
2. It is also close to the elbow which probably makes the effects of Item 1 worse

I'd bet you if you just put it downstream by just 12", it would solve the problem. Also, after looking at your image, are you running 2" pipe up to the filter and then 1 1/2" thereafter? I wonder if that could be contributing to the booster problem? I'm sure someone with a similar setup will chime in.

Another possibility is that when the booster pump turns on it draws a lot of current. Depending on how your AC wiring was done, that could lower the supply voltage to the SWG for a moment, which could cause a minor glitch.

I could see in principal how a booster pump could cause a low flow error, though that shouldn't be happening. However, under ordinary conditions, flow issues should not have any impact on the instant salt reading. That reading will vary quite a bit from "reality". It is the average reading over quite some time that is important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.