Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy again

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy again

Here are my test results:

FC - 21 ( I brought it up this morning to this level. It was at 4)
    TA - 160
    PH - 7.5
    CYA - 40
    CH - 280

We have had MUCH rain, and I've had to drain several inches after each of these horrible storms in Ohio. The water has been great this summer, up until about 2 weeks ago. It started getting cloudy, and I SLAMMED it. Cleared up for a couple of days, and then back to cloudy. I brought it back up to shock level this morning. Am I doing everything right at this point?

PH has been all over the place during these storms, but I'm trying hard to keep it adjusted.
    Installed Sept 2008. 18 x 36 Flatback Kidney Radiant, Vinyl liner 25,000 inground, Hayward Max-Flo 1 HP Pool Pump SP2807X10 (runs 24/7) , Hayward Pro-Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S244T, Hayward Heat Pro, Frog chlorinator is turned off, TF-100 Test kit

Location is Toronto, Ohio, overlooking the Mighty Ohio River. My river days are done. Sold the boat and Waverunner and now prefer a pool over the river.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy again

You need to keep it at shock level until you pass

1 OCLT. Lose 1ppm or less
    2 CC of 0.5 or less
    3 water is clear

You probably didn't follow thru correctly. What did you SLAM with ? Liquid chlorine ?
    SLAM. shock level and maintain.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember that you can't use the PH test results when the FC level is above 10. Hopefully that PH test was done before your brought up the FC level.

Your TA is fairly high, which could cause calcium clouding. Calcium clouding is nearly always white clouds, while algae is only rarely white. High TA will also cause the PH to go up when it rains.

Have you allowed FC to go below 3? If so that is probably the cause of the problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I am using Liquid Chlorine to SLAM. I will keep the level up until the water is clear. I did this 2 weeks ago, but hard rains continued last week after I thought I had it under control. 2 inches of rain water in 15 minutes last week. Lots of flooding going on here.

The PH level yesterday was 7.2. The 7.5 reading today was after I brought the FC level up.

Is there a way to get the TA down?
    Installed Sept 2008. 18 x 36 Flatback Kidney Radiant, Vinyl liner 25,000 inground, Hayward Max-Flo 1 HP Pool Pump SP2807X10 (runs 24/7) , Hayward Pro-Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S244T, Hayward Heat Pro, Frog chlorinator is turned off, TF-100 Test kit

Location is Toronto, Ohio, overlooking the Mighty Ohio River. My river days are done. Sold the boat and Waverunner and now prefer a pool over the river.

5. Back To Top    #5

BTW - Thank you everyone for your help.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes,but that's a whole other process. Finish the slam since its started then tackle the TA. Plus you get an inaccurate PH test at high FC levels.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.