Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't retain prime while running

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't retain prime while running

Hi all,
    I noticed this morning my pump dedicated to my in-floor system had lost its prime. I have done as much troubleshooting as possible but can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be that it can't get prime, but that as soon as it does it loses it again and then cycles this way over and over again every 2 minutes or so. I don't think it a leak on the suction side because of the fact that it does catch prime each time. I have installed a new pump basket o-ring, as well as a new impeller diffuser o-ring.

Here's a brief video showing how it catches prime then immediately loses it.

Any ideas????

[youtube:7y9yu0fx]bdHxRJTxsRs[/youtube:7y9yu0fx]
    15k gallon 17'x34' IG Pebble Play Pool (3x5x3), 1HP Emmerson 1081 Pump (x2), Pentair TR-100 Sand Filter, PCC2000 Paramount in-floor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump won't retain prime while running

Check your pool water level. I believe it is sucking air from the skimmer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Check your pool water level. I believe it is sucking air from the skimmer.
    Water level is high. In fact it is above normal as we have had several storms this week. I have confirmed it does not appear to be sucking air at the skimmer.
    15k gallon 17'x34' IG Pebble Play Pool (3x5x3), 1HP Emmerson 1081 Pump (x2), Pentair TR-100 Sand Filter, PCC2000 Paramount in-floor cleaning system

4. Back To Top    #4

A long shot, but worth asking...

Are you using a skimmer sock? I use these during the spring to trap small pollen and other similar debris. After running pump for about 2-3 hours, so much stuff accumulates on the socks that I either need to to clean them or put new ones on. Otherwise my pump experiences the same water starvation as shown in your video.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It does appear you have a leak somewhere. Check the pump lid and o-ring make sure they are on tight and the seating area is free from debris. Check the pump plugs make sure they are in tight....then if it is still loosing prime, take a bucket full of water and with the pump running slowly go over all exposed areas (the plumbing ahead of the pump, any unions or ball valves, and then the wet end (lid, body, etc....there might be a crack). Watch for the pump to gain and keep prime while doing this.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok thanks, I will keep troubleshooting for a leak