Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leslie's claim of 1% CYA in pucks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leslie's claim of 1% CYA in pucks?

I was at Leslie's the other day getting some liquid chlorine and they asked me AGAIN why I wasn't using the pucks and as usual, I said it was because of the CYA in them. The lady behind the counter said they have revamped how they make the pucks and they now have only 1% CYA in them but there is no documentation to prove that.
    I'm just wondering if that's true and if so, at 1% CYA, how much each puck would raise my CYA in a 25,000 gallon pool.
    Just curious.
    I use the pucks occasionally to RAISE my CYA because I am in the Phoenix area and we get a LOT of dust in our pools and with a sand filter, it gets clogged up fairly regularly, hence the need to backwash often.
    Thanks.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leslie's claim of 1% CYA in pucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mesamav
    The lady behind the counter said they have revamped how they make the pucks and they now have only 1% CYA in them but there is no documentation to prove that.
    She might be trying to get you to buy them.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

they now have only 1% CYA in them but there is no documentation to prove that
    That's just silly, ignorant or deceiving....take your pick.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll take 20 buckets! (when and if proven)
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't believe it, but I think it would have to list % active on the package. AFAIK that is the law regarding labelling of all sanitizers.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

It does list the active ingredients but it has a listing of "other ingredients" that brings the total to 100% so you just don't know what those fillers are.....
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

7. Back To Top    #7

Labeling of active chlorine is common, labeling of CYA is almost nonexistent.

Look at the name of the chemical they contain, if they are either trichloro-s-triazinetrione or trichloroisocyanuric acid or any of the other similar variations, then it contains CYA just like usual.

None of them actually contain cyanuric acid as a separate ingredient. It is chemically bound up with the chlorine in a specific way which makes it slow dissolving.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

trichlor is trichlor, it all behaves exactly the same. The only way to have a tablet that is only 1% CYA is if there is only 3% trichlor and 97% inactive ingredients. If it was anything else it wouldn't be trichlor. It would either be cal-hypo, lithium-hypo, or something brand new. If the later there should be documentation and huge fanfare because Leslie's has changed the world of pool maintenance!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay, let's end the speculation and go to the source.

Leslie’s 3” Chlorine Tabs feature:

• 99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione
      8 oz. individually-wrapped tablets
      No fillers, binders, or lubricants
      Very slow-dissolving tablets

• What is the chemical make-up of Leslie’s 3-inch chlorine tabs?

Leslie’s 3-inch chlorine tabs are made up of 99% trichloro-s-triazinetrione, which provides 90% available chlorine, the highest available chlorine of any chlorine compound. Our tabs are also stabilized with cyanuric acid.
    So yes, it's just trichlor. The 1% claim is bupkis. As with all trichlor, it will add 0.6 PPM CYA for each 1 PPM FC (see chem geek's post for more detail).

And to answer your question, check http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    In a 25,000 gallon pool, 8oz of trichlor will:
    * raise FC by 2.2
    * raise CYA by 1.3
    * lower pH by 0.12
    * raise salt by 1.8
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, Leslie's is at it again. They brought in a new manager two days ago and he is telling people anything to get thier wallet out.
    Quick story. Last week I had family over from California and we spent a LOT of time at and in the pool. I knew I would be using a little more chlorine so I prepared for that. I do use pucks VERY sparingly because I have to backwash so often to keep my calcium in line but I keep things topped off and balanced with liquid chlorine. I almost always buy my chlorine from Leslie's because there just isn't cheap chlorine around here and I figured Leslie's would always have fresh chlorine. Well, after my family left, my water started getting slimey. Not green but the walls were getting slimey and slightly discolored so I kept adding more and more chlorine figuring that would get rid of it. Unfortunately it was just getting worse. I added more pucks and that was preventing it from becoming a full blown algae outbreak but only for so long. I couldn't figure out what the problem was.
    To make a long story shorter, I finally tested the chlorine right out of the bottle and guess what? Nothing, so I took the empties and one partial bottle back to Leslie's and explained my story. I opened a bottle and told him to take a snif but he wouldn't. He said the chlorine was good. They had been selling off that pallet for a week or two. Then he said something that just plain angered me. He looked me in the eye and said "CHLORINE HAS NO SMELL". Obviously I got in his face and called him out on that.
    I made him test it and he said that you can't test full strength (10%) chlorine. What an ***. I said "fine, dilute it as much as you like". He did and guess what. He finally admitted that this chlorine was bad. He wouldn't give me my money back so I settled for two more bottles but I said I wanted them tested first. Again, NO CHLORINE even in the new bottles. He STILL wouldn't give my money back. I had to settle for two bags of "shock".... I did use one of them even though I didn't want to but it did clear up my pool in just a couple of hours.
    I was third in line while I was in Leslie's. This new "manager" is telling the first customer that he needs to completely drain his pool, refill then add new salt because his desolved solids were too high. I thought I heard him say something about 3500 PPM but I can't be sure but that tells me they are including the salt in there. I almost said something right there.
    He then sells his next customer a clarifier, some shock because he tells the guy that he needs to shock his pool once a week and then he tops it all off by selling him some **** that is supposed to deal with phosphates. I almost couldn't contain myself but I didn't feel it was my place but when he told me that chlorine has no smell, I almost lost it. I said "don't patronize me. I'm not one of your typical customers that doesn't have any knowledge of how a pool works. Chlorine will knock you off your feet if you're not careful".
    Anyone know how I can get hold of the regional manager for the Phoenix area? I want to give someone an earful this time.
    Where do they get these guys? Is that how they train them or do these people deceive people just because they can?
    I'm guessing that is how they train people for one reason. To sell more chemicals and take advantage of unknowledgable people. Personally, I think some attention should be brought up on this subject on a national scale. Pool owners are getting screwed everywhere and nothing is being done about it.
    Hey, it could happnen.........
    Thank you TFP for giving me the knowledge.
    Last edited by jblizzle; 09-20-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: language

11. Back To Top    #11

My guess would be that if you call him out to the regional manager he will just get a cash bonus

You have described normal practice at that chain.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

He was right, you can not test the chlorine out of the bottle ... the FC ppm is SOOOO high that it will beach out any test and appear as 0ppm FC.

Sounds like you would be best served by stop going there and buy you bleach at Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes. Actually since you are in PHX, go to the HASA website and find one of the local pool stores (avoid the Leslie's chain) that sells the 12.5% in bulk ... that is your cheapest option.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    My guess would be that if you call him out to the regional manager he will just get a cash bonus

You have described normal practice at that chain.
    It is their normal practice to sell H2O in bottles labeled "liquid chlorine 10%"?? And they are still in business not jail?

I have heard of getting "pool stored" but stolen from is a little different. Getting sold phosphate remover and pucks is different than filling chlorine bottles with anything less than 10% chlorine.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

14. Back To Top    #14

I feel the same way. If they are purposely deceiving thier customers, they should be driven out of the industry but that apparently isn't how the pool industry works.
    Can someone answer me this? What is the yellow coloring in pool bleach? Is that put in there or is chlorine normally that color? I'm asking because the chlorine still had that coloration. It still looked like it should yet there was NO chlorine. It wasn't just weak, there was absolutely no chlorine in these bottles at all yet the color was there. Was this chlorine purposefully made that way? In other words, was Leslie's purposefully not adding chlorine so that our pools would turn green and they could sell us all kinds of chemicals that they make more money on?????
    What do you guys think???????

15. Back To Top    #15

I would be more inclined to think that the testing of the chlorine strength was done incorrectly and thus made the test look like zero than that there was no chlorine in it.

How did they test the strength? There are a few threads on the forum about how to do this and it is not very easy as you need massive amounts of dilution.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

17. Back To Top    #17

Yup, 98% trichlor in the tabs
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

18. Back To Top    #18

The chlorine is light amber in color when first manufactured and it becomes more colorless with age. However, if you could not smell it and it measured as zero, then it was degraded, either to chloride or to chlorate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Mesamav View Post
    I feel the same way. If they are purposely deceiving thier customers, they should be driven out of the industry but that apparently isn't how the pool industry works.
    Can someone answer me this? What is the yellow coloring in pool bleach? Is that put in there or is chlorine normally that color? I'm asking because the chlorine still had that coloration. It still looked like it should yet there was NO chlorine. It wasn't just weak, there was absolutely no chlorine in these bottles at all yet the color was there. Was this chlorine purposefully made that way? In other words, was Leslie's purposefully not adding chlorine so that our pools would turn green and they could sell us all kinds of chemicals that they make more money on?????
    What do you guys think???????
    How do you think Leslie's paid for that beautiful huge new headquarters on Indian School in Phoenix?(huge...it's literally in an old Sam's club)

Please find an NPS pool store, they are a newer chain in Phoenix based out of Vegas, I have had pretty good luck with them and they haven't tried to "Pool Store" me yet. I have been to several locations and they all seem to share the same low pressure philosophy. I buy the LC and MA and they never pressure me to buy anything else, although I sometimes do because I know they don't make jack on the LC and MA.
    They have had 10% LC for $4.95 x 2 gal. for months now and it's very fresh. They also have acid for $6.95 x 2 gallons. Their other prices aren't bad either.
    23,900 gallons, 20'x'40', Midnight Blue Pebble Gunite inground, 2HP Hayward super II(will be replacing with two-speed pump soon), 60SF Hayward D.E.

20. Back To Top    #20

I have found the pool store at Higley and Pecos to be very reasonable, and the guys there are awesome!