sudden noisy pump - pressure/air problem ?!?

Gx

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2013
Lexington, Ky
Hello.
I think I need some fairly urgent help here.

I just bought this house, with pool, this Spring. The [uphill] pump has been OK, I think (21psi) .
Yesterday, I noticed my pump (Hayward super pump - 2hp, 1.0sf) is 'screaming' much louder than usual.
So, I turn it off, & it sounds/appears to be forced to run backward for a second or two ! The pressure guage on the multiport valve is still showing 21psi, as usual.

I opened & cleaned the pump filter basket. This caused me to lose prime, as usual.
When I turn the pump back on, it does not get loud until it gets prime (full of water) ?!?
Also, I notice that the returns are now alternately spewing a little air in with the water. It appears that 2 of the 3 are doing it at any given time.
I do not see any water leaks around the pump. :(

I'm sure you experts here immediately recognize this problem. ;-)
I would be most appreciative of a [quick] solution !

Thanks.

34,000 gal inground
2 skimmers - 65' & 95' from pump
2 drains - 55' from pump

Thanks for the quick response.

There is no air in the pump basket after prime.

I am somewhat of an engineer, & I will bet $50 that the motor runs backward immediately after shutoff. It is a very odd sound.
To me, that indicates very high pressure downstream, as if the water is pushing it back.
This also correlates with the fact that the motor doesn't get loud until it is primed. Seems as it is straining against the pressure.

I am new to pool ownership/maintenance.
So, I know only to check that the returns are not blocked, & the valve pressure guage shows normal...

I will bet $50 that the motor runs backward immediately after shutoff.
No bet. I would lose! I misread your post thinking you said when you power up.

To me, that indicates very high pressure downstream, as if the water is pushing it back.
I agree completely.

That means that your filter is being pressured by air while running. That subsequently means You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. Find that leak and your issues will be solved.

Thanks for the informative reply.

I suspect the VacAlert for my suction side leak. So, I turned the 3-way valve all the way to skimmer, away from drain.
[attachment=0:1w9w3e1i]vac3valve.jpeg[/attachment:1w9w3e1i]
I also replaced the basket cover gasket.

I now have no air coming from the returns, & the motor doesn't go nuts/backward when shutoff !

However, the pump is still way loud...

Attachments

• vac3valve.jpeg
    vac3valve.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 46
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.