Normal daily FC Loss?

I'm contemplating moving from Cal-Hypo to bleach.

I have access to 2.85L jugs at Canadian Tire for a decent price ($1.19 I think).

According to my pool calculator app, raising FC by 2.5 ppm for my pool (76k litres) takes 1.5 jugs.

So, a sunny week would require 7 x 1.5 jugs = 10.5 jugs / week !!!

Is this at all realistic ? I don't really care about the cost, it's the hauling of jugs / storage that'd be a bother...

CYA is 40, CH is 200.

I was using Cal-Hypo along with 2 trichlor tablets in a dispenser once a week until this week.

That's when I got my Taylor K-2006.

CYA is 40 and CH is 200.

Should I continue adding trichlor tablets until I reach CYA 50 ? My understanding is that the more CYA I have, the longer the FC will last (although I'll need to keep the level higher) ?

Using Cal Hypo is fine for your pool. Test and manage your water so it doesn't get above around 400 and you should have no issues.

There's diminishing return on increased CYA levels. I would agree with pwrstrk's advice.

Added signature...

Is FC degradation a linear function ?

I mean, for the same amount of sunshine, if I started the day with FC = 16 and ended at 13, would it have gone from 5 to 2 on the same day, all else being equal ?

I'm not sure on that. Sometimes higher fc levels lower faster i think. Lots of factors come into play with FC loss.

That's a good question for chemgeek, or the other experts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.