Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water balance and TA/PH questions

1. Back To Top    #1

water balance and TA/PH questions

today's test results
    FC=2.5, CC=0, PH=7.8, TA=70, CH=240, CYA=35, water temp 78
    water balance is +.15

so all is good....but since my TA is below normal recommended range of 80-100, should I increase TA or just leave it be? I did add some muriatic acid yesterday since the ph was pushing 8.0 and I guess that lowered the TA too.
    I am thinking just do nothing while water balance is in range?

also another question
    when I do start raising the TA...I usually use baking soda......but that raises the PH.....then if I use muriatic to lower the PH...that lowers the TA....is there a better way?

thanks.
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water balance and TA/PH questions

Total alkalinity indicates the water's ability to buffer pH changes. If the pH is relatively stable, I would not fiddle with TA just to reach a target number. Your pool's pH is on the high end of the recommended range and will need to be lowered if it gets any higher. Muriatic Acid will lower both pH and TA as you have correctly surmised. If TA does get too low (say below 60) it can be increased with baking soda.
    ...I usually use baking soda......but that raises the PH...
    Actually, baking soda has virtually no effect on pH.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Bo.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lots of conflicting info out there about baking soda also raising PH so thanks for your opinions
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You should disregard any info you read about baking soda raising pH....it doesn't.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

+ 1

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section, near the bottom of the PoolCalculator, to help predict results.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!