Do I need to be concerned with a .4 CC level

I have a new inground pool that was finished and filled May 30, 2013. Prior to it being built and during construction did plenty of reading here. I have had a Taylor K-2005 and added the FAS-DPD Chlorine test to it. Have been testing Chlorine and PH daily; TA, CH weekly and have tested CYA twice. The only thing that has gone in the pool has been stabilizer, liquid chlorine and muratic acid. Pool has been testing fine with PH drifting up and I have to lower it with Muratic Acid about every 3 days. I'm in Phoenix and its Hot and humid at the moment (Monsoon time of the year) Have been getting a little rain, some wind and dust blowing so have more then normal leaves in the pools that I have been skimming out each day. So for two months my CC level has been at 0 using the FAS-DPD test and now all of a sudden today it registered at .5 so I did the more precise test by filling to 25ml and its currently showing at .4 Do I need to be concerned? Water is currently crystal clear. Here are the current test results

FC 1.0
CC .4
PH 7.6
TA 100
CH 190
CYA 30

No reason be concerned with .4 ppm CC, remember CC is a step in the oxidation chain, when FC reacts with organic material it forms CC first before fully oxidizing the organic material. You are almost always going to have some organic material in your pool, some types break down faster than others, this could be bather waste, blown in material, bugs, etc. When you need to start getting worried is when you find CC above 1.0 ppm, as this is a sign that the CC is not breaking down as fast as it should, and this may be a sign the FC is being over worked.

no need to worry about the CC but a FC of 1 is low you need to refer to the CYA/ chlorine chart to ensure you don't fall below the min. recommended level as being below can allow something to start to grow which might require you to SLAM your pool

Reinforcing what imwarren says, disregard your .4 ppm CC's test but be VERY concerned about your lack of chlorination....get your FC up to the suggested levels in Pool School.

I would also suggest you elevate your CYA to 50 ppm in Phoenix.

duraleigh said:
Reinforcing what imwarren says, disregard your .4 ppm CC's test but be VERY concerned about your lack of chlorination....get your FC up to the suggested levels in Pool School.

I would also suggest you elevate your CYA to 50 ppm in Phoenix.

Yes. FC is way too low and below minimum. Pool should be watched carefully. Proper course of action is to raise to shock level and perform OCLT. You're on the verge of algae and the CC is an indicator to trouble. If you act now, as in today, you should be OK with shock/slam levels for FC. Off to the store for bleach you head.

Never, ever, ever let FC get below minimum for CYA.

Nip it in the bud.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.