Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Chlorine Level

1. Back To Top    #1

High Chlorine Level

I have a high chlorine level due to slamming my pool. I also have a pool party tomorrow. What level chlorine is dangerous for swimming?

Is there anything I can do to lower chlorine levels right now?
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Chlorine Level

What are your CYA and FC levels? Generally safe up to shock level for your CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

tc - 15-17ppm
    cya - 40-50ppm

this is prob inline with shock levels per the chart. is there anything I can do in the morning (i.e. 10am) with chemicals to lower tc by 1-2pm?

Or should I just start dumping water and refilling?

Or do you think I am ok?

I turned the swg off and took the pool cover off. Thoughts?
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

The whole family is coming over to use my pool, i feel like such a jack*****!

5. Back To Top    #5

What is your FC and what is your CC? If you have CC>0.5 ppm it can be irritating to swimmers. Per the chlorine/cya chart at 40 ppm cya the FC shock level is 16 ppm, so if you are below that you are fine.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Better to have a little much than too little. How are you testing? That TC range is not what i would expect if using one if the recommended test kits. What does the water look like?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TC - 15ppm-17ppm
    FC less than .5ppm

The water looks crystal clear. I am using the TF 100. I did the test 5 times because the second and fourth one was 15ppm.

So you guys think I will be ok?

8. Back To Top    #8

I think you are confusing the TC (total chlorine) with FC (free chlorine) and FC with CC (combined chlorine). TC=FC+CC

FC is what the first part of fas-dpd chlorine tests. Assuming you actually meant FC, why such a big range (15-17)?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, you mean FC is 15ish and the CC is less than .5 You could do the OCLT tonight and that could be passing all the criteria to stop SLAMing.

You seem to be under the shock level, so you will be fine. Have fun and let them be impressed with the water quality. No one will even know the FC is high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

I did mean FC, I have no idea. Two of the tests came out at 15 and the others were 16 and 17. Maybe im not adding the same amount of that powder each time. It says heaping mound, so not very scientific.

Assuming it is 16-17, still ok?

11. Back To Top    #11

The amount of powder does not really matter, as long as you use enough. If you add the drops too fast, they could be smaller and give different readings.

Relax and have fun. I can almost guarantee no one will comment thinking the chlorine is high.

Did you test the pH? (Even though it is inaccurate when FC greater than 10ppm)
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

How does your water look?

If FC is still 16 tomorrow morning, you should be good to go for swimming since 16 is the SLAM level for cya of 40 ppm according to the chlorine/cya chart. If it drops much (more than 1 ppm), then you have something growing in your pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Already confirmed the water is clear. Really the OCLT is the last official step.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Already confirmed the water is clear.
    oops, missed that

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by horseradish1
    Assuming it is 16-17, still ok?
    Yes. With that high of a bather load, the FC will drop far enough below shock level that you will be fine for the party. Bring it back up in the evening to run an OCLT tomorrow night so you can verify the SLAM process is complete.

Make sure that before your guests get in the pool, if anyone feels the need to slather on the sunscreen, they do it at least 20-30 min prior to jumping in.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry