Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Correcting wrong replastering

1. Back To Top    #1

Correcting wrong replastering

We have had a contractor renovating our pool including new concrete decks, tile and plaster. The old plaster was in poor condition so it was chipped out down to the shell, then re-plastered. I came home today very excited that our project was nearly complete knowing they finished the plaster, and was shocked to find that they applied white plaster instead of the "harbor blue" color that we had specified. The contractor has acknowledged this error and offered two options to rectify it. I've added what I perceive as the pros and cons for each one.

A. Bond plaster: Fill pool and let new white plaster cure for 30 days. After 30 days, drain pool, saw cut plaster along tile and fittings and chip out a keyway within 6 inches of cuts, apply bond coat and a 1/2 inch layer of (correct blue-colored) plaster. Pros: reduced chance of chipping out more shell concrete and potentially damaging shell (there was some structural cracking of the shell that was repaired as part of this project) from additional chipping; get to use pool now while summer wanes. Cons: unshapely lip at the keyway where the 1/2 inch plaster feathers back down to the tile face; Knowledge that the white plaster will be down there, taunting me for evermore.

B. Replace: Chip out all the new plaster down to the shell again and re-do with new entire layer of plaster. Pros: I end up with the product that was specified; don't have to re-drain the pool in 30 days; Cons: potential for damage; more summer days waiting for a swimmable pool.

It seems that Option A is better. I'd be very grateful if anyone had some insight or advice that could help me make a decision on this matter. If Option A is chosen, am I ending up with as good quality of a product as if they had done it right the first time?

Cheers,
    Jim
    12,000 gal in ground shotcrete & plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS, So. Cal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Correcting wrong replastering

Wow what a bummer.

I personally, after just having gone through the rehab process for the first time would be leery of the first option and whether or not the new bonded plaster finish would last. I would also be concerned with how it would look where it's "feathered" at the tile line, although you really may not notice with the water level being at mid tile.

The second option is also a little scary with the possibility of damaging your new tile, creating a huge mess in your yard again and possibly losing the swim season if they suddenly become "swamped" and can't make it out to for another week.

I just had white plaster put in my pool due to my budget being blown, but the color of the water still looks very nice and blue.

Good luck with your decision.
    Anthony 16,000 Gallon Oval, White plaster, 30' Long 15' Wide 5 1/2' Deep end 3 1/2' shallow end.
    Pentair Intelliflo, FNS Plus 60sf. DE, Pentair Intellibrite 5G
    TF100 Testkit

3. Back To Top    #3

Option two all the way OR a an appropriate discount and live with white
    16K Gunite in ground rectangle with 4 person spa in corner. Pentair 2 speed 2hp whisperflo pump, intermatic 3 stage timer, Pentair FNS PLUS 48sqft DE filter, Raypak Gemini rust bucket heater, 2 oldskool scary 500w pool lights; one functional lol

4. Back To Top    #4

Any contractors out there have an opinion on this?
    12,000 gal in ground shotcrete & plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS, So. Cal.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am a contractor in the construction industry and mistakes happen. While i cant comment on option #1 option #2 will cost the pool builder substantial time and money. If you can live with the white plaster the builder should be able to live with giving you a big discount.
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd stay with the white plaster and a BIG discount on the renovations

The other options may make the situation worse
    IG Gunite pool built in 1994 3ft/5ft/3ft about 10-12000 gallons, Pentair Challenger 1-1/2 hp pump, Pentair TR 60 Sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I wish I could offer the practical experience advice you seek but can't. We have a member here in the business who's handle is "on balance". He can tell you for sure. I think A is a bad option all around. B seems the way to go unless you can live with white and get a deep discount. You have the leverage as he stands to lose huge on a re-do.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

If it were me, I would stick with the white plaster + a big discount. Of course, I have white plaster and am happy with it. As others have said, the water still appears a nice blue and I get that same comment from the many guests we have had over the years.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

I love the blue hue you see with white or light colored plasters because you see the natural filtering of the light. The blue colored ones never show that as much and make the color seem an un-natural blue to me. It's a matter of taste, so I am not knocking anyone's choice. However, greens and grey colors show some astonishing blue colors.

As for this situation, it seems like it would be cheaper for the builder to give you the plaster if you were willing to have it. If you weren't, I wouldn't blame you one bit, and I would encourage you to get a complete re-do. Perhaps he could do it in the fall or winter coming up so you won't lose swim time.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

I would save yourself the hassle and stick with the white...you can always get blue next time around. White plaster looks brighter/better to me and is less likely to get blotchy and discolor over time.
    20x40 in-ground Bella Blue Pebble Fina pool w/diving board, 1 HP Hayward Superpump, Raypak RP2100 335k BTU NG mV heater, Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, Pentair 261173 multi-port valve, Stenner 45MPHP10 pump w/15 gal tank, Intermatic ET1125CR dual electronic timer, 1.5" lines, two skimmers w/socks, Poolskim, vacuum line, ColorQ Pro 7 kit, TF-100 kit, speedstir, 2 froglogs, Dolphin Discovery Robot. Wine is the answer, what was the question?

11. Back To Top    #11

If you will be happy with the white plaster ask the builder what its going cost him to remove and replace the plaster and then tell him to discount it by that amount and keep the white plaster, its a win win for you and him but only if you can live with and be happy with the white plaster.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just keep the white , and dont pay for it !!!
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

13. Back To Top    #13

Another vote here for white and get a big discount. Once the water is in, it wont look so white.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.