SHOULD I SLAM ?

Jun 16, 2013
Massachusetts
I just purchased my TF test kit and I'm glad I did. I took an initial test using the K-1000 for my PH and Chlorine. I also tested my CYA, which was very different then the readings the pool store gave me. I have a slight allergy growth on the walls of my pool, so my question is if I should SLAM it? for the most part the water is clear and the deep end is slightly cloudy. My Chlorine levels are at 2ppm and my CYA is about 70.

Thanks!

Jason

If your pool is slightly cloudy, that usually indicates a need to SLAM. FC of 2 is too low for a CYA of 70... it should never go that low or you risk algae growth.

Please post your pool information such as size, kind of pool, type of filter, etc in your signature line.

It would be helpful if you posted your full set of test results as well as your pool information.

Thanks! Should I turn off my SWG when I SLAM??
SLAM Process - Pool School said:
If you have a salt water chlorine generator, chlorine tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator, you will still need to use another chlorine source for SLAMing. All of these devices are designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily over many hours. To kill algae or lower CC, you need to put in lots of chlorine all at once. The SWG, tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator can be very helpful in the follow up stages to maintain FC at shock level, but for the initial couple of chlorine applications, you need to use another chlorine source.

If you use the SWG to help maintain FC at shock level, be sure to turn it OFF prior to the OCLT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.