Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SHOULD I SLAM ?

1. Back To Top    #1

SHOULD I SLAM ?

I just purchased my TF test kit and I'm glad I did. I took an initial test using the K-1000 for my PH and Chlorine. I also tested my CYA, which was very different then the readings the pool store gave me. I have a slight allergy growth on the walls of my pool, so my question is if I should SLAM it? for the most part the water is clear and the deep end is slightly cloudy. My Chlorine levels are at 2ppm and my CYA is about 70.

Thanks!

Jason
    Massachusetts - 30,000 Gallons, Inground, Gunite, Hayward Salt Water Generator, T-15 Cell, Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SHOULD I SLAM ?

Can you please post a full set of test results?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have ANY algae growth-----you should SLAM your pool. 2 ppm is too low for your CYA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

If your pool is slightly cloudy, that usually indicates a need to SLAM. FC of 2 is too low for a CYA of 70... it should never go that low or you risk algae growth.

Please post your pool information such as size, kind of pool, type of filter, etc in your signature line.

It would be helpful if you posted your full set of test results as well as your pool information.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! Should I turn off my SWG when I SLAM??
    Massachusetts - 30,000 Gallons, Inground, Gunite, Hayward Salt Water Generator, T-15 Cell, Hayward C3030 Cartridge Filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, SWG off during SLAM.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! Should I turn off my SWG when I SLAM??
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAM Process - Pool School
    If you have a salt water chlorine generator, chlorine tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator, you will still need to use another chlorine source for SLAMing. All of these devices are designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily over many hours. To kill algae or lower CC, you need to put in lots of chlorine all at once. The SWG, tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator can be very helpful in the follow up stages to maintain FC at shock level, but for the initial couple of chlorine applications, you need to use another chlorine source.
    If you use the SWG to help maintain FC at shock level, be sure to turn it OFF prior to the OCLT.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!