Vacation

raidencmc

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2011
Cochranville, PA
So I am gong away for a week. I have an intex 15*48 pool. I normally use bleach. I have old 3 inch chlorine tabs. They are not tri-chlor. I am wondering if I can hang them in the pool near the inlet and if so how many should I hang for a week. Also any other suggestions??? I think I will take the filter out and just run the pump.

Those Cal Hypo tabs will dissolve very quickly in your pool and make a mushy mess....I wouldn't use them except to put them in the skimmer. pump running, one at a time.

With a CYA of 40, you can use tri-chlor tabs but not much more than a week......your CYA will get too high

Those are Cal-Hypo pucks so they will not add any CYA to the water but they will increase CH. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Cal-Hypo, it will also increase Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So the relevant number to know is your current CH level. Since you have a vinyl liner pool, your CH is probably low unless your fill water is very hard. So if your CH isn't high, you could use those tablets for chlorination. Normally they are used in specially designed inline chlorinators (different from the ones that are used with Trichlor), but it sounds like these are OK to use in the skimmer. Since Cal-Hypo raises pH and doesn't lower it, using them in the skimmer is probably OK, at least while the pump is running. [EDIT] one at a time as Dave said, to be safe, since they do tend to fall apart. [END-EDIT]

[EDIT] Also note that according to the HTH® website the product also contains chemicals that "Inhibits scale" and "Contains skin softener" which are extras that you don't need. [END-EDIT]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.