Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation

So I am gong away for a week. I have an intex 15*48 pool. I normally use bleach. I have old 3 inch chlorine tabs. They are not tri-chlor. I am wondering if I can hang them in the pool near the inlet and if so how many should I hang for a week. Also any other suggestions??? I think I will take the filter out and just run the pump.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Vacation

If they aren't trichlor what are they?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Most all of those pucks are, in fact, tri-chlor.

Your CYA level determines how savvy it is to use pucks....can you tell us your CYA?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Always thought they were different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA is 40.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Those Cal Hypo tabs will dissolve very quickly in your pool and make a mushy mess....I wouldn't use them except to put them in the skimmer. pump running, one at a time.

With a CYA of 40, you can use tri-chlor tabs but not much more than a week......your CYA will get too high
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Those are Cal-Hypo pucks so they will not add any CYA to the water but they will increase CH. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Cal-Hypo, it will also increase Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So the relevant number to know is your current CH level. Since you have a vinyl liner pool, your CH is probably low unless your fill water is very hard. So if your CH isn't high, you could use those tablets for chlorination. Normally they are used in specially designed inline chlorinators (different from the ones that are used with Trichlor), but it sounds like these are OK to use in the skimmer. Since Cal-Hypo raises pH and doesn't lower it, using them in the skimmer is probably OK, at least while the pump is running. [EDIT] one at a time as Dave said, to be safe, since they do tend to fall apart. [END-EDIT]

[EDIT] Also note that according to the HTH® website the product also contains chemicals that "Inhibits scale" and "Contains skin softener" which are extras that you don't need. [END-EDIT]
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

I just checked the CH level and it is 20.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Epsom salt. That's the super-secret "skin softener" that these things contain. It makes up over half of the "other ingredients" in these things.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate so is no problem as far as the magnesium is concerned and the sulfate would only be an issue if it got high (300 ppm or more) in a plaster pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"